Can anyone point me in the right direction to how you can add highlighing to a source code text editor.

I don't know what language it's going to be written in. Java or c++ perhaps.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can anyone point me in the right direction to how you can add highlighing to a source code text editor.

I don't know what language it's going to be written in. Java or c++ perhaps.

Thanks in advance.

I use VEdit (vedit.com). It can handle many languages, and if it doesn't handle yours, someone in the VEdit community will be able to whip one together. It's a very powerful and flexible editing system.

Sorry i don't think i was clear.

I meant that i was creating an editor and i wanted to implement highlighting as a feature.

Look at the source code for some free, open source editors out there and see what they do.

I'd imagine I'd make a mini-language for describing source code colorization and then use that to colorize source code.

Can't help you without know what language you're using. Both languages have their preferred methods for parsing and highlighting text.

I've made a decision to develop using Java.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.