if c# is so good then how come ti hasnt caught on eh?

Stubborn VB programmers keep wanting to use VB.NET. ;)

i tried c#. The problem is thats its too good. Its too standardised - has no quirkiness like C or VB so its no fun for programmers to learn

Ill use VB6 thanks very much....

i tried c#. The problem is thats its too good. Its too standardised - has no quirkiness like C or VB so its no fun for programmers to learn

Ill use VB6 thanks very much....

I ended up working on a VB6 app a few weeks ago. It reminded me why I like .NET so much. :cheesy: That's been happening a lot. VB6, SQL 2000, Visual Studio 2003, .NET 1.1... I've been spoiled by the cutting edge.

Is there really anything wrong with learning VisualBasic? That is really the only reason i want to learn a language like c, c++, c#. So many people have told me that vb is "too sissy".

Personally i love VB. The code is easy to understand (coming from a BASIC background), and i caught on fairly fast. The only problem is that i have been "picked on" about VB, so i decided to see what all the hub bub is about...

Is there really anything wrong with learning VisualBasic?

NO.

That is really the only reason i want to learn a language like c, c++, c#. So many people have told me that vb is "too sissy".

They need to grow up.

Personally i love VB. The code is easy to understand (coming from a BASIC background), and i caught on fairly fast. The only problem is that i have been "picked on" about VB, so i decided to see what all the hub bub is about...

I've been programming probably longer than you've been alive, long before C, C++, and VB even existed. For doing GUI programming, VB is quite good. You can build pretty robust applications and fairly quickly. C/C++ is better for commercial applications, but for in-house and personal apps, VB works quite well.

Don't let others try to make you feel bad because of VB. They are programming snobs. VB is just not the "in" thing anymore, but it's still alive and kicking...

commented: Let there be approval ^_^ -Raye +1

for most windows forms apps vb is just fine - sucks at directx though

Keep in mind the quote "Different tool for different tasks". You can't replace the screwdriver just because you think the hammer is cool.

It also depends on why you are learning the language. Many people learn new langauges for research work. If this is the case then VB, C# and all the commerically famous languages are worthless. They just help in RAD. Thats the best they can do.

Most of us are interested in making money, if such were the case, you would be better off using languages facilitating RAD which would make you more productive.

Also depends on the kind of applications you are coding. If developing applications or device drivers for *nix, you are better off using C++. On the other hand, if you want to develop a fully functional GUI application in the least amount of time, C# (VB, Java) are the way to go.

You can't replace the screwdriver just because you think the hammer is cool.

Oh but i i disagree! :D

Yes. I am interested in making money. I know that i need experience before i can start making money from programming. That is what i want to start asap.
I have been toying around with C#. It is different, but i kinda like it...

Member Avatar for rkamin1

Personally, I started out learning C++, and through the course of school, I've dipped into some php, java, C#, and VB.

I took a crash course in VB once and liked it 'cause its easy to learn the syntax and its less cryptic, but I tend to prefer C++ type syntax, just because it was my first language.

I guess what I'm saying is that you should pick what you like the best. If you're using strictly .NET, you can use VB or C# and have the same capabilities of the .NET framework. Choose what you're comfortable with! :cheesy:

I have been playing with C# for the past few days, and i absolutley love it. I also like VB and C++, so i am learning the whole slew. Yay!

Thanks for the help guys (and/or gals)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.