Hi, I am very new at web development, and i am trying to run my own web page. I installed an apache server on my system and it works fine. I also both a domain name for myself. But I don't know how to direct that domain name to my home server ip address. Can anyone tell me how can i do that. I think i have to change dns addresses but i don't how exactly i will do that.
Thanks in advance....

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi, I am very new at web development, and i am trying to run my own web page. I installed an apache server on my system and it works fine. I also both a domain name for myself. But I don't know how to direct that domain name to my home server ip address. Can anyone tell me how can i do that. I think i have to change dns addresses but i don't how exactly i will do that.
Thanks in advance....

Use a dyndns like service, for aliasing a dynamic ip adress, and on your registrar's control panel search in the DNS managment or "forwarding a domain name" to redirect it, to the dyndns domain.

This is not the best solution to have a website.

Yes setting up dyndns is a good solution.
Even better, you can use www.no-ip.com.
This comes with an 'auto update tool'
Which will update your IP to the domain name you've bought.

Thus, you can
1) have your server running from home.
2) have your domain point to your no-ip.com address which will point to the IP of your machine.
3) you have an auto update tool to update your no-ip.com address when your IP changes.

erm, i may be completely wrong here, but don't you register your IP address with the people you bought the domain name from for it to be included in the upstream DNS?? i'm sure google etc do not use dyndns/no-ip ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.