We did a whole module abour erotica in my english lit class lol

Rashakil Fol commented: Sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex! +6

It's the only way to get high school seniors to read anything! :)

haha.. True.. I didn't get spark notes for those books :D

I know, right? In senior English we read like 3-4 sex books... I swear, they were all about sex, and had just about every curse word in the English language..

I know. We've had a lot of those too. But it's okay as long as it has "Literary Value". lol

Yes, the scene in which the killer chokes the young Frosted Flakes to death is fairly brutal... and when he bludgeons that old Apple Jack with a pipe I had to put the book down for a few minutes.

:P

Just teasing! I actually never have read that book and probably should.

You had me going for a second. I was thinking, "No, you're ruining it for me."

One of my social studies teachers from a few years back was clearing out a lot of the books he had and was giving them away to students who wanted them so I have a lot of books on the dark ages, the roman empire and such. They look interesting (to me at least). They're not very new though.

Actually, our English teacher wanted to incorporate the Bible into our class.. There are so many biblical references in the books we read.. it would have probably been beneficial had we read it..

ow.. really? thanks lasher511 you love LOTR too?

Hell no as i thought i said earlier i found it extremely drawn out and pointless infact i think if you take all the unneeded discription out of it then you would end up with a rather short triology. When i read a book i want it to actually have a continuing story rather constant nonsense about irrelevant events and places to the story.
I did however like the movies.

Yea, the religious industry makes tons of $$ from all of its suckers.

Not sure that they really make enough money to be able to call it an industry. Not sure about the States but here bibles do not really cost that much and usually any cost that is there is the cost of printing the bibles and then the store markup that they need in order to sustain the shop(rent etc.) and survive.

Infact there are numerous ways that you can get free copies of the bible often through a church or a website giving out free bibles on the internet and not just those little new testaments things, proper bibles. Infact i think with the exception of the larger church groups such as the catholic church and maybe koorong there is not much profit being made off us "suckers" at all. Least thats my experience.

Forgot to quote about the sex books but in australia i don't think we really read anything like that in school usually the books we end up reading in schools are crappy ones that can be bought up in bulk and don't cause to many problems for the less intelligent. Usually they are about a teenage girl who doesn't seem to fit in and how her family is so imbarresing and her seemingly grossly underated attraction to boys. Usually there is some swearing in these books and maybe if your lucky you will get a little bit of closed lip kissing but thats about it.

Really these days most of the books over about 400 pages have at least some swearing and sex in them and you always get these people up in arms about it saying its perverted and that our society is going down hill with standards but i think really it has been like this for a long time now and is really a part of every day life and the only thing thats changed is the way these things are presented with the introduction of TV and movies.

commented: Good Post +5

Night Watch is a fantastic book (and film) Written by Sergei Lukyanenko. Its the first book in a trilogy. I am reading the second one now - Day Watch!

never read it myself, anyone read the Horrible Science, Horrible History books?
i think they are a very funny factual read :)

Has anyone here read any of Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series (epic fantasy)? I picked up the second of the series "Deadhouse Gates" at the airport awhile back just to have a long book to read on a trip. It took a bit to get into, but overall was a really good story. I still haven't read the first, nor any of the others (seven I believe).

Just curious if anyone has read any of the other books in the series and what their thoughts were.

i thought night watch was a pretty odd and weird movie actually but i could tell from the story line that the books would be good.

Do you collect coins or something?

The AP Government test was easy btw.. I got a 5 on the Gov/Eco exams without much effort.. :)

That's kind of a random question. But yeah a little bit. I don't have a lot cause I'm really not willing to spend a lot of money for some of them. I still haven't gotten my ap government results back yet. I took them this past year. Maybe they're on the internet.

No, they don't post the AP scores online. You get them by mail only (unless you call and pay).. and yea, I'm still awaiting for some of my AP scores :-/

Naw, it wasn't a random question as I briefly skimmed over your ebay account history :)

Oh, that makes sense. I bought two. What's interesting is that you could buy a martha washington or abigail adams coin from the U.S. mint for 430 dollars they day they came out, they cancelled prescriptions because there were too many, and they sold out really fast. Two days later they were on ebay for around 800 dollars and even higher. So when the next few come out that's what I'll be doing If I can get a hold of one or a few. I usually don't sell but my mom just bought me "Left Behind" without realizing that I already had it, so now I'm selling one (hence, this posts relevence to the thread). I thought it was a pretty good book.

ahhic.. I've never really collected stuff be4.. my mom collects 'precious moments' though.

Aww I love Precious Moments stuff. :)

haha :D

What is an AP test?

thats not funny - that sort of post is exactly why people dislike you.

commented: I think you are confusing your feelings of hate with feelings of love. -2

It's a test that you can take in high school (costs me 83$ per test) that is worth college credit based on the score received. There are usually classes that you take to prepare for the test.

thats not funny - that sort of post is exactly why people dislike you.

People must like Rashakil because he has 3 rep bars.

commented: Heres some rep for you for being naive and thinking people like Rashakil :D +13
commented: I agree, I think ppl like jbennet and joshSCH are secretly aroused by rashkil. If you don't mind me paraphrasing Shakesphere. "Me thinks the gentleman doth protest too much." +11

It's a test that you can take in high school (costs me 83$ per test) that is worth college credit based on the score received. There are usually classes that you take to prepare for the test.

Yea, there are different levels of each course in high school.. Our high school offered regular (A=4), Academic (A=4.5), and AP aka Advanced Placement (A=5). The AP classes are harder, and geared more towards the AP test at the end of the year. And as sk8 said, you take the test to determine if you get college credit or not. It's on a scale from 1 to 5, 5 being the best. Most colleges will give you credit if you pass (A score of 3). However, the score you get on the AP test is usually reflective of your college gpa for that class. For example, I took the Calculus BC AP test this year (Calculus 2). If I score a 5, then I will receive an "A" from Rice for that specific class. If I score a 4, then I would get a "B", etc. And since I am planning to attend graduate school.. I want the highest college gpa I can possibly get, so I will retake Calc 2 in college if I score less than a 5.

People must like Rashakil because he has 3 rep bars.

Naw, rep isn't a factor in whether you're popular on the forums or not.. or else Rashakil would have negative rep points ;)

Every chick always likes the Notebook and Serendipity..

I know this post is pretty delayed but... what is Serendipity? I think I've heard of it but not sure. Who's the author?

I know this post is pretty delayed but... what is Serendipity? I think I've heard of it but not sure. Who's the author?

Honestly, questions such as these are answered better, faster, more fully by using one of many search engines.

This was hinted at earlier by Rashakil, but the intended wisdom was apparently not passed and confusion ensued.

Seriously, search for at least 1 minute before asking a "What is ...?" question.

I usually do.

But I didn't feel like searching today. I'd rather just have someone give me a brief summary.

However, since no one has replied, I guess I will have to google it.

If you've got Firefox (I don't know about support else-browser), you might be interested in the Groowe Search Toolbar. I use it for Wikipedia sometimes, but Clusty is my default.

I usually do.

But I didn't feel like searching today. I'd rather just have someone give me a brief summary.

However, since no one has replied, I guess I will have to google it.

Just to add, it has been general decorum in forums such as these to do an initial search and if such attempts have been in vain, one is to at least mention this in an ensuing post. Often rules such as this have been captured in "Board Rules" that all are supposed to follow. This is forum etiquette, it means that my time is at least as valuable as your time. FWIW

commented: Nicely put. They wont understand it anyway. +3

Just to add, it has been general decorum in forums such as these to do an initial search and if such attempts have been in vain, one is to at least mention this in an ensuing post. Often rules such as this have been captured in "Board Rules" that all are supposed to follow. This is forum etiquette, it means that my time is at least as valuable as your time. FWIW

This post was a waste of my time. Lol. Just kidding.

Aren't we supposed to be waffling about books? :S

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.