> Its been a downhill slide for the past 200 or so years.
More like 100 IMO, with the death of Queen Victoria. This destabilised all the European monarchies, which within just over a decade led to WW-1 and in so doing sowed the seeds of WW-2.

A thousand years ago, 99.99% of people never left the village / town they were born in. The number of people who undertook foreign travel were very few in number. Wars between nations were very much a local affair, petty squabbles between neighbours really.

Today, international travel is widespread and accessible to a substantial fraction of the population. Information itself travels with such speed as to be practically instantaneous.
Europe has already begun the process of dismantling nation states with ever closer political and monetary union. Other global and regional organisations also act as moderating influences on the worst excesses of any single government.

In a thousand years time, if (as you say) a few dozen idiots don't decide to blow us all up with their delusion of fulfilling a prophecy, the very idea of a nation state may well be an anachronism. With any luck, events like 1950 DA, or others like it, would hopefully teach the world that its better to work together, and all this "us" and "them" primate politics can be finally consigned to history.
Since there are only about 200 countries, it would only take a couple of countries per decade to decide to join up, which seems eminently plausible. The EU has got 25 countries signed up in 50 years after all, with others wanting in.

> Is England Vanishing?
Of course it is, but like the Roman Empire, echoes of it will remain for many millennia. For example, English as a language is sure to endure in one form or another for a long while.

they will easily survive those few hard working foreigners in their neighborhood

More then a few, I promise yar bumsfeld. Also "hard working" would describe probably about 50% of 'em. Then again, you could also say that about the english population.

Great insight. Are you retarded?

It takes one to know one!

It takes one to know one!

What are you, 12?

I thought Larmeisters original joke was funny.

Don't shoot me. :)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>would hopefully teach the world that its better to work together, and all this "us" and "them" primate politics can be finally consigned to history.

This will never ever happen. Even if the world was one colour, one race and one religion the fanatics will still get together and think of something else they can use as a a medium for their hate campaign.

It is inherent in human nature and always will be.

Are you suggesting that humans evolved from primates rather than being created in God's likeness? Love will prevail, got to love the buggers, foreign or not! Captain Retard

Better 12 then 88

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>Are you suggesting that humans evolved from primates rather than being created in God's likeness?

Depends on your religious beliefs.

>Love will prevail, got to love the buggers, foreign or not!

I doubt it, assuming the world continues for another couple of million years the likelihood of mankind destroying themselves surely ranks higher than their survival?

iamthwee, you are one cool likable fellow! At least you have a brain that works well!

iamthwee, you are one cool likable fellow! At least you have a brain that works well!

Given the discussion, I am assuming that this statement translates across as nothing more than "I like what you said because it agrees with what I think".

commented: nice quote +18

Given the discussion, I am assuming that this statement translates across as nothing more than "I like what you said because it agrees with what I think".

Where did you get that idea, iamthwee hardly agrees with me! Reading imparement can be cured.

More then a few, I promise yar bumsfeld. Also "hard working" would describe probably about 50% of 'em. Then again, you could also say that about the english population.

Where i have a house in scotland there are lots of Polish people. They are the most hardworking people i know. I got no problem with immigrants so long as they work.

Where i have a house in scotland there are lots of Polish people. They are the most hardworking people i know. I got no problem with immigrants so long as they work.

my countrymen are also rather ethnocentric. they hate the people who flee or migrate from parts of africa further north. and yet these migrants are far more hardworking than the south africans themselves.

some people actively object to these people opening up businesses. i often point out that very few of the locals has the inclination to begin a business of their own. so these migrants are actually good for the economy. of course here i am talking about small business. stores and so on. not large corporations.

of course illegal immigrants is a problem as i believe they are almost everywhere.

Alot of interesting posts... and I'm glad to see that this wasn't the ethno-riot I feared it would be when I clickedthe link.

Okay... England.
Land of Education, Civility, Manners, Honour and lets not forget Sarcasm (damn sure it's an English Invention! ;) )

The coutnry has been invaded fully or partially numerous times... probably a damn site mre than documented.
Plus the bordering countries have influenced the population unaccoutnably (why England and not Britain?).

In regards to Immigration, I cannot help but feel that a large number of the "ethnic minorities" such as certain Asian, Oriental and African persuasions have a born-right to come to this country - they belong or elonged to the British Common wealth - they have thesame rights as those born on English Soil! (Mainly due tot he fact that we Invaded, Stole or Bought theirs ;) )

Further, our culture has only ever expanded due to this sort of thing - alot of the language is actually "borrowed" or "imported" from other nationalities... most prominently German for obvious reasons, not to forget Indian, Spanish, Gaulic and French etc.

Ido feel that sometimes things are out of hand... certain cultures/ethnicities are known to move to an area, make it highly unpalletable, which reduces the housing prices... then there families and friends buy.... clean up the are and viola... the equivelent of a corporate take-over!
This doesn't annoy me for racial reasons - only that our culture seems to have lost such a social-mind!

The supposedly "foreign elements" come here and in most cases perform admirably... they work ahrd, paly hard and live life to the fullest... our coutnry provides a social freedom that is lacking in many countries... unfortuneatly it still seemsto have certain aspects of raciasm, classism, castism, sexism and agism that others have.... jsut not as publicly or profoundly as many other countries!

The real danger is the "polarisation" of culture that is occuring due to WW Media.
Others have mentioned the Gangs, the Pop etc...
It is worrying as it appears that each new generation is less and less like it's predecessors, for no real gain or benefit.
There are far to many people in this country under 25 that can count proeprly, read properly or uderstand the basics of life...
This is not a fault of the WW MEdia, merely a sympton.

The real problem is that England is no longer a country based around community values or social interaction.
Instead it's all games, films, tv, music and personal gain - othing for the familly benefit, othig for the communities posterity, nothig for the improvement of the self or others...
it is sad.

You are correct, England, as well as many other "Countries" are going to "disappear".
They are going to die !
I wouldn't be concerned about it - it's natural for things to change states...

I'm absolutely terriefied of what is to come in it's palce though!

This is an interesting point of view, I'm not sure of how I feel about it yet.

I hope britain doesnt turn into america :(

I hope britain doesnt turn into america :(

Are you hinting you want to become our 51st state :) You are already closer to being like USA then you probably realize.

... I think he meant the opposite... he really does not want to become like or apart of America.

Yes, we are becoming more americanised day by day and I dont think thats a good thing (no offence to america)

Are you hinting you want to become our 51st state

Isnt the 51st state hawaii, alaska or guam or something?

Alaska == 49, Hawaii == 50, Guam and Puerto Rico have some special status as I recall, but aren't states. We're still sitting at 50 of those, at least as of the last time I checked.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.