Just wondering if any of you do some sort of artsy or crafty stuff in your free time. I know some of you never leave the computer (jbennet, I'm talking to you :P) so you might not have much to say, but I figured it might make for a fun topic...

Recommended Answers

All 52 Replies

I do some knitting occasionally...(NO!! I'm not gay!! haha) I have a sweater that I knitted myself and it's Very comfortable...
I also play guitar...Mostly blues and jazz but also a lot of classic rock...

I know some of you never leave the computer (jbennet, I'm talking to you :P)

:)

On the computer:

Generally hacking/tweaking my system into shape (a bit hard since its a dell - a.k.a crap)
Programming stuff (or trying to ;) - i like VB and PHP
Playing with linux. I like debian

Not on the PC but computer related:

Helping old people with computer problems
Fixing/upgrading peoples PCs for them

Not on the PC:

Walking. In the summer i went to the borders scotland and the yorkshire dales. I also enjoy listening to music (i like sabbath, whitensake, metallica, dragonforce - a mix really but it has to be metally (i love riffs) )

Going and seeing my friends

Reading (I like crime books)

I write programs, record music, and made my avatar.

I bake and decorate cakes

Make just about anything with my daughters.

This years achievment was recyclying some branches that fell from my lilac tree. Stripping them (took like days!) then painting them in white gloss and sticking them in a bucket topped of with those coloured glass pebbles you can get from Hobby Craft. It has pride of place in the lounge. I always wanted a dead tree indoors ever since I saw one in a bar in London. Dead contemporary.

I love reading, I bake sometimes. That is about it.

I used to make CAD models (with anim8r) and flash movies (not since wine stopped working...haven't got around to installing vmware), but thats about all...

I write programs, record music, and made my avatar.

Is that a rocket ship in front of your house?

I like to write science fiction.

Reading, Riting, Rithmitic. Recording, rogramming, ... bettering my knowledge on things I know nothing about which I will never have to know about ... like the liver fluke ... Music. I do a lot of playing recording and listening.

I made my mom a mother's day card in 3rd grade.

Made this when i was in India :sweat:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2623/dsc05889ev1.jpg

Back in school days they used to force us to draw, paint, do stuff like what hollystyle mentioned .. >.< not anymore ..

I like photography .. bought a cam but didnt take any pic so far!!! :-/ yea me likes photography!

I do some knitting occasionally...(NO!! I'm not gay!! haha) I have a sweater that I knitted myself and it's Very comfortable...

I also knit (started in April). It's really a good way to do nothing productively. Well, I guess it's not really doing nothing, but I like it anyways. I just finished my second project, which is totally awesome (pics).

Sitting in the dark corners of my house doing nothing requries a lot of craft...

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

Except computers, I do maths, it love it. But I love cycling with my best friend in evening more. Sometimes movies, sometimes football(soccer), or vollyball or cricket (all these sports in school free time).

And when I'm tired or want to do nothing else I pick up my chemistry book and I instantly get a nice good sleep.

I also knit (started in April). It's really a good way to do nothing productively. Well, I guess it's not really doing nothing, but I like it anyways. I just finished my second project, which is totally awesome (pics).

ROFL!!! I love it!! I don't have any pics of my stuff, but I guess I'll have to get off my lazy butt and post 'em...I think I'm gonna have to copy your idea with the binary scarf...
btw...does the binary in your scarf stand for anything? Think of the fun you could have making a scarf that said "up yours" or something in binary...:P

*EDIT* Just noticed the computer case in one of your pics...it looks like you have the same exact case as one of my computers... :)

I am modding my dells case and motherboard right now

I'm a ninja.

photography, and occasionally I try my hand at making chainmail.

photography, and occasionally I try my hand at making chainmail.

Chainmail, is that the kinky stuff?

I like ceramics and modeling.

Kinky? ive never heard of it being used in that way?

Kinky? ive never heard of it being used in that way?

I've seen some pictures of chainmail underwear. Never made anything like that, doesn't look too comfortable (and rather drafty with all those holes...).

Mostly it's exercise for me to work the muscles in my hands beyond what's needed to operate a computer keyboard.
Anything that delays the onset of RSI is worth trying IMO.

I have seen divers wearing stainless steel chain mail to safely mingle with sharks. I guess that would be a kinky thing to do!

In world war one machine gunners wore chainmail on thier face and arms

I've seen some pictures of chainmail underwear.

Lol what websites do you go on ;)

The only recent use I've seen for chainmail (beyond shark diving) is for Rennaisance Fairs and LARPs...

You never seen a bucther with it?

My local butcher uses it over his hand when chopping meat with the cleaver and when using dangerous mincing machines.

Chainmail and its modern uses:
1) Used by butchers to protect them from meatpacking equipment
2) Used by divers to protect against shark bites
3) Used by motorcyclists to protect themselves from fails
4) Used in paintball to protect more "sensitive regions" ;-)
5) Used by british police to disarm knife wielding criminals

You see chainmail has lots of uses!

Used by british police to disarm knife wielding criminals

Never seen that? usually the police hit them with the hitty stick or run away

lol they run away? Offtopic but why don't british police carry guns?

In movies they almost never make real chainmail because it takes so long to make. However in LOTR they made real chainmail for every piece that was needed.

Is that a rocket ship in front of your house?

It's Supercar, from the 1961 TV series. That's actually a photo of a small model of it I have, superimposed onto the photo of the house with Corel PhotoPaint.

One time, my ISP sent us a notice forbidding us from sending chain mail through their server.

Funny, but I don't think it would fit.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.