Hello,

I am a little lost and need some help I have looked high and low and it seems this is probably the only place that may have my answer...

I am working on a business plan right now that involves a very large website that includes message boards and video tutorials for music related stuff.

What I need to know and what I am trying to do is the following

The site is going to be supported by advertising.

What I want to do is sell rich media ads in the tutorial section where for example their is a 15 second ad video before the tutorial starts... then you can view the tutorial...

Now here are my questions

1. How can I dynamically change the intro video ads without actually changing the tutorials mange them etc..

2. is their any established standard on the video based ads i.e. dimensional size, file size, and video type ?

3. How can I effectively project advertising sales into my business plan (even if it is a rough estimate).

I have to have the projected advertising revenue in the business plan otherwise I will not get the funding needed to build this site! Is their any standardized figure used in business plans. I know someone has had to write a business plan at some point projecting advertising revenue. :?:

anyone that can help on this it would be much appreciated my business plan is 2 weeks behind schedule because I have been trying to find this information

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I would suggest using Flash, you can then dynamically load the flash file onto the page using Coldfusion, ASP or PHP.

So your saying use php to intially call flash and then to actionscript flash to call another flash animation ?

Do you have any idea on the advertising part of my question... this seems to be a very ellusive subject... "3. How can I effectively project advertising sales into my business plan (even if it is a rough estimate)."

You can load different Flash movies from a database using PHP, ASP or Coldfusion.

You ask:

"3. How can I effectively project advertising sales into my business plan (even if it is a rough estimate)."

In short you can't as most people will tell you advertising sales can be very hit and miss. If your site is relying on advertising revenue then personally I wouldn't bother.

If you are looking at your own ecommerce site then this is very different. How well your site does depends on how well you advertise and how good your product is.

The problem is I am working on a business plan to present to investment bankers, and the like. Without showing how the website is going to create a revenue (through advertisers) they probably are not going to provide the funding to me. I do not know of any way to show that the money invested is going to have a return. How do most people get around this or deal with this siuation.

The problem is I am working on a business plan to present to investment bankers, and the like. Without showing how the website is going to create a revenue (through advertisers) they probably are not going to provide the funding to me. I do not know of any way to show that the money invested is going to have a return. How do most people get around this or deal with this siuation.

I am having a similar problem finding information about how to get rough estimates about advertising revenue. Have you found anything yet? I would love to here what you have. I think it is a good start to project the websites traffic numbers and then find out what advertisors might be willing to pay using a number of different ways- CPM, CPC, etc. That is what I have done so far.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.