Hi,

I am a school teacher with a basic website using frames.

I must say, I am not opposed to frames but have been reading that it is not the way to go.

Can someone show me an alternative to frames, especially for implementing a list of links on the left hand side of the web page? Perhaps a web link that is truly for "Dummies".

I cannot express how simple this should be. If you start getting into serious programming, then I am lost. This includes serious html programming.

I imagine a situation where my left-side links are pulled in as if they were a picture. I am just now learning CSS, and might be able to pull it off.

Thank you,

Phil

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Put one link on the page that goes to a page of links.

Do you have an example? I guess I am not understanding what you mean.

Put one link on the page that goes to a page of links.

If I read your question correctly, there is no need to use frames just to keeps the links on the left hand side for navigation.

Simply create on page with the links in a cell(s) on the left and this page would become the "template" for your site.

Simply rename the page each time with different content.

Or you could use an IFRAME (embeds the content better in the page). This would always use the same menu but would make editing the pages easier.

If you could provide an example of your content we could come up with some better solutions :)

Yes, but what if later I want to add/ delete/ change items on the left hand side for navigation? Then I would have to do it for every single web page!

With frames, I only have to do it once.

My understanding it that there is an alternative to frames that does not require me to change something for every page I create.

If anybody can lead me to this solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

If I read your question correctly, there is no need to use frames just to keeps the links on the left hand side for navigation.

Simply create on page with the links in a cell(s) on the left and this page would become the "template" for your site.

Simply rename the page each time with different content.

well yes you would have to change all the pages, but if you are using something like dreamweaver its kinda semi automated.

Frames are less positive on SEO

Sourcez,

I think we could be getting somewhere with your IFRAME idea.

My website is HMSTechnology.com.

So basically, I create a separate file holding all my links, and then it embeds it into every page? This is the sort of solution I am looking for (I think).

I am going to read more about IFRAMEs today, and see what I can learn.

BTW, I am using DreamWeaver to set this up.

Thank you,

Phil

Or you could use an IFRAME (embeds the content better in the page). This would always use the same menu but would make editing the pages easier.

If you could provide an example of your content we could come up with some better solutions :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.