I am having some problems with HTML and CSS, firstly with links in a li element, I have it set to display: block so that the it will highlight when the cursor is placed within the li area, but this is not working in IE 6 (I know this is a known issue in IE and I have managed to work around it before but I can't manage it this time)

/* Styles for the Drop-Down menus*/
#drop_menu {
  position: relative;
  float: right;
  z-index: 40;
  text-align: left;
}

#drop_menu li {
  margin: 90px 0 0 2px;
  list-style: none;
  float: left;         
}

#links_list li {
  margin: 0 13px 0 0;
  list-style: none;
  float: left;        
}

#drop_menu li a {
  display: block;
  text-align: left;
}

Any ideas on a work-round for this would be appreciated

Second, I have been asked to set the tables on the site out like the image attached, but I can't find out how to get a 3d effect on HTML tables (it will need to be XHTML 1.0 Strict and CSS2.1 compliant as the rest of the site is)
I have tried searching for this but with no luck so again any ideas appreciated.

Regards.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

could you be referring to DHTML when you talk about 3d effects? DHTML is not a language it is a combo of HTML and other languages such as Javascript or PHP. The image you attached isn't the true essence of 3d but you could just use CSS to put the words within the image table.

The image posted was done in Word, that's just a representation of what they want it to look like, when I say 3d effects, it more that alternating rows are inset/outset.

Easy in Word - it's a built in style. Hard in xhtml, but doable.

You will have to use a different style for the odd rows and the even rows:

- The odd rows have dark top borders and light bottom borders.
- The even rows have dark bottom borders and light top borders.
- All rows have dark left borders, and no right borders.

Make a .class for each kind, and put the class= in the td tags, according to whether they are in odd or even rows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.