...look like a Word Document. I don't mean using one of those proxy sites which covers up sites you're not supposed to be visiting at work. I literally want this to just look like text on a Word Document. Basically, for some weird reason, I am applying for an internship at a company. I uploaded my resume in a .pdf document, but for some reason the styles (WYSIWYG stuff like font styles and all that) disappeared. After some tinkering around I realized that whatever this company uses to submitt applications only extracts the text from the file, not the styles, tabs, and other important things that come with it. So I have had to spend an hour inserting HTML code to format my document again. I am almost done, but I want to insert borders so that it looks something like this:
http://www.jeff-barr.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/blank_word_document.png

I just want the borders to provide a page like that.
I already have the text set up and everything, but I need a border for it so that it is easier to read on a page.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by MidiMagic

So wouldn't it do the same for html? Extract just the text

No. For some reason, when I copy HTML code into the submission, it formats like it should. I do not understand why they don't just open the file after you upload it like everyone else does.

Yeah, I've been doing that, but it doesn't have borders yet. I would put up the code but it has some of my personal information in it. Could you be a bit more specific as to what I should do?

have you tried uploading as .rtf instead of .doc or .pdf
closer to html in styling, no multibyte characters, no ctrl characters, just the 128ascii set

I just realized what you are talking about.

Their software is designed to turn everything into basic text, so the formatting and style used does not influence hiring.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.