I am perplexed as I have ever been in my 3 years of web development. I had a div class named ".bottomAds" that absolutely refused to even render on the page. It was like it wasn't even in the source at all (it was though, because I checked). So I thought I would rename it to just ".ads" - still no luck. So I named it ".adPad" and voila! it worked. I even renamed it back to "bottomAds" just to see if it would work, and it didn't. This is one of the weirdest things I have seen so far as a web developer. Has anyone ever came across something like this or is the word "ads" just a no no in CSS?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hmm, strange. Maybe the browser or just..well I've never encountered such a situation so I don't know.

I did build a quick page with a DIV with ads included in it's class name. It showed. So CSS is not allergic to the characters ads bound together. Did you try creating an empty page with just one DIV and its class name as ads? I'm sure it might be something on your page. Hehe. Or NOT. :)

The page is at intellinet.jasonacrider.com/index.html -- The div I changed is now named "adPad". It really is weird that It just refuses to show if I name it "bottomAds" but works if I name it what it is.

Well, I don't know what's going on over on your end, but I took the liberty and downloaded, edited and the section with Intellinet Winter Sales did show with the name changed to bottomAds. That is the section with the weirdness right?

?: - S

Your isp probably used those style names in its own stylesheet. That stylesheet overrode yours.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.