I am beginner in html / website design. I have 4-5 webpages. All these pages have top banner, left sidebar & right sidebar. At present I am writing html code in all the 4-5 pages for these above elements. Is there a way, I just write the code once (in one file) and this file can be called / included in all the 4-5 pages. In case, I have to make change I just need to update one file and the change gets reflected in all the pages.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,

Are you talking about like the layout??? Cause if so, use CSS.

Yes,
its the most common improvement from "my first web page" to "my second web page"
in .php .asp .shtml (server side language extensions to html) you can <?php include('menu.php'); ?> (example)
the only thing you have to do is determine what server language your hosting package supports and use that language
my site has 1600+ pages, & 2 included files that actually do all the 'grunt work'
head.php that is all the doctypes css scritps
menu.php that is the menu, sidebar and footers
the average page looks like

<?php include('/head.php');
include('/menu.php'); ?>
content bla bla bla
</body></html>

menus on all pages can be altered easily and all pages retain the same look and feel all the time

It works. Thanks.

Yes,
its the most common improvement from "my first web page" to "my second web page"
in .php .asp .shtml (server side language extensions to html) you can <?php include('menu.php'); ?> (example)
the only thing you have to do is determine what server language your hosting package supports and use that language
my site has 1600+ pages, & 2 included files that actually do all the 'grunt work'
head.php that is all the doctypes css scritps
menu.php that is the menu, sidebar and footers
the average page looks like

<?php include('/head.php');
include('/menu.php'); ?>
content bla bla bla
</body></html>

menus on all pages can be altered easily and all pages retain the same look and feel all the time

I am beginner in html / website design. I have 4-5 webpages. All these pages have top banner, left sidebar & right sidebar. At present I am writing html code in all the 4-5 pages for these above elements. Is there a way, I just write the code once (in one file) and this file can be called / included in all the 4-5 pages. In case, I have to make change I just need to update one file and the change gets reflected in all the pages.

dear friend,

I got your prob., to resolve this prob. you have to use <frameset> to create this web site,

Regards,

dear friend,

I got your prob., to resolve this prob. you have to use <frameset> to create this web site,

Regards,

framesets require multiple files all complete html, they are larger than necessary so are slower than necceessary
framesets are not indexed well by search engines
and have been superseded by server includes, in any of the server languages previously mentioned, smaller faster and more indexable
framesets are a retrograde step,

the thread was marked 'solved' before you posted, the original poster thinks its DONE, and the answers given work

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.