Will do and thanks for your advice. :)

HTML 5 reduces the needs of flash. Aside from Adobe flash are the following:

Apache Pivot
Microsoft Silverlight
Sun JavaFX

DAWN, THIS INTERESTES ME. does this mean in html5 you can play videos and such media with slverlight and java? couldnt u do that before? i dont understand,

DAWN, THIS INTERESTES ME. does this mean in html5 you can play videos and such media with slverlight and java? couldnt u do that before? i dont understand,

html5, spec includes native media player, without silverlight flash java or other plugin
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html

notepad++ has code completion and hinting but doesnt have a visual display)

Sorry for getting off topic, but Notepad++ has code completion? I've been using it for 2 years and didn't know that. How do I turn it on?

Sorry for getting off topic, but Notepad++ has code completion? I've been using it for 2 years and didn't know that. How do I turn it on?

i dont understand notepad ++ i, myself bein the professionalest of the professionals, use regular cut and dry notepad.

notepad (not even worth the uppercase in its name) is to Notepad++ as a rusty bike with broken spokes, one wheel, no pedals or seat and a broken chain is to a Ferrari...

notepad (not even worth the uppercase in its name) is to Notepad++ as a rusty bike with broken spokes, one wheel, no pedals or seat and a broken chain is to a Ferrari...

:D Well-said. N++ is awesome. Notepad causes headaches. There's no reason to use Notepad. You should always use the best tool for the job. You don't use a flathead screwdriver for a phillips screw just 'cause the flathead can fit it too. Notepad provides nothing useful for the web designer. N++ is free software, and it is excellent for all sorts of coding.

:D Well-said. N++ is awesome. Notepad causes headaches. There's no reason to use Notepad. You should always use the best tool for the job. You don't use a flathead screwdriver for a phillips screw just 'cause the flathead can fit it too. Notepad provides nothing useful for the web designer. N++ is free software, and it is excellent for all sorts of coding.

no offnese, but i cant understand how to use notepad++ not to mention it says it has all these things like that has to do with html and codes and i just type and it is plain text just like notepad, thats why i uninstalled it, it was just bulk.

maybe if someone could explain how this notepad++ works maybe it will merit a um capital letter...

no offnese, but i cant understand how to use notepad++ not to mention it says it has all these things like that has to do with html and codes and i just type and it is plain text just like notepad, thats why i uninstalled it, it was just bulk.

maybe if someone could explain how this notepad++ works maybe it will merit a um capital letter...

How it works? You just type. If you want to use it for basic stuff, it's just like Notepad, but with syntax highlighting. Save the document and it will automatically choose the right language, and highlight your syntax accordingly. Alternatively, you can use the Language menu to choose which language you are coding in without saving. You can also have multiple files open in a single window. Notepad++ has lots of tools that make coding easier and faster, but if you don't want to get bogged down with them you just use it like Notepad, but with syntax highlighting.

commented: Kudos, anyone who can deal with skank politely, deserves them +3

Gee Evolution,
Kudos for the politeness
I would have just written RTFM

Gee Evolution,
Kudos for the politeness
I would have just written RTFM

^^; believe me it wasn't easy.
Speaking of RTFM, bob, how do you get the auto-completion to work with N++? I saw the N++ website said something about making XML files for each language, but 1) I'm not very familiar with XML, and 2) I wouldn't know what to put in the files.

Member Avatar for diafol

Suggstion (or dropdown) = Ctrl + space

There are 'plugins' for different languages.
I tried making my own localized version, but failed miserably. DOcumentation not too hot.

In Notepad++, the choice of professionals everywhere, once you have saved a document with its extension (so it knows what language you are working in) when you start typing, it pops up a list of tags/function/whatever that begin with the first few letters you have entered. Great when entering PHP function names, for example, as there are so many of them.

It doesn't offer the intellisense of VB.net or Eclipse, unfortunately. But it is so lightweight compared to these two.

I also love the way I can have five or ten tabbed files open at once and if I close it, it remembers which tabs were open the next time I start it. VERY handy for continuing from where you left off.

And it's so easy to learn and understand too ;)

thanks. but how can i get it to like give me some predictive functions? all i know how to do with it is save the file as a php to see the colors

Ardav is right, Web standards require a DTD.

sorry, web standards is not real life standards ok. there is absolutely no dtd needed for a website to display in all the major browsers such as firefox ie flock chrome safari..opera even

so u need to just take that attitude ang get some respect for real life standards.

Member Avatar for diafol

Skank - don't listen looks like another sig spammer.
BTW - you're still wrong!

somebody is going to ask

sig spammer:noun:perjorative; one who posts irelevant answers in forums with a high PR to get their sitelinks noted in SE

see also: idiots who have not heard of nofollow

sorry, web standards is not real life standards ok. there is absolutely no dtd needed for a website to display in all the major browsers such as firefox ie flock chrome safari..opera even

so u need to just take that attitude ang get some respect for real life standards.

16th Nov 2009
well i had to use a doctype once for certain positioning on a big image( abunch of divs) cause it didnt work without the doctype. why i dont know... but all my other pages i dont add docs because well... i looked and looked and didnt understtand a thing i read on doctypes. .

cause it didnt work without the doctype
and that is in the one browser that skank uses
the other 99.999% of possible browser OS combinations.....
with apologies for the perjorativedumb as a stumpignorance can be fixed, by teachingyou cant fix stupid

cause it didnt work without the doctype
and that is in the one browser that skank uses
the other 99.999% of possible browser OS combinations.....
with apologies for the perjorativedumb as a stumpignorance can be fixed, by teachingyou cant fix stupid

whats most stupid of all is that ur just not even knowing what i meant. i had a webpage that only works(1 webpage out of like hungreds) that had t o have a doctype to postion some thing i dont even understand. i probably dont understand it because its freakin doc types. let me tell you this, once theres a stupid person that realizes they ar stupid who made up this doctype bs then dtds die and my page wont work anymore, if i indeed still have it up. anyways. then html5++ willhave evolved so much so that dtds dont need them at all anymore and there wil be a much easier way to get the positioning divs propperly.

I'm new to this forum and all I have seen from you is when someone gives advice you act like a jerk. You don't want to listen to anything anyone has to say. You just act like a very uneducated person and the real reason you don't understand any of this DTD's etc., is because you just don't feel like learning.

No one here can help you so I don't understand why you are here. You don't want to take any advice anyone has given you. All anyone here is trying to do is help others. Since they can't help you, because you don't want anyone's help, instead of acting like a child, why don't you move onto another forum where perhaps you might listen to them?

I'm here to get more educated on something 'I' want to learn. You're just filling up this topic with nonsense. Much like a troll.

whats most stupid of all is that ur just not even knowing what i meant. i had a webpage that only works(1 webpage out of like hungreds) that had t o have a doctype to postion some thing i dont even understand. i probably dont understand it because its freakin doc types. let me tell you this, once theres a stupid person that realizes they ar stupid who made up this doctype bs then dtds die and my page wont work anymore, if i indeed still have it up. anyways. then html5++ willhave evolved so much so that dtds dont need them at all anymore and there wil be a much easier way to get the positioning divs propperly.

kaycy and u people are ganging up on me. point proved, im right. thanks for the "advice" on the thread topic which was HTML5 NOT DTDS,
solved.

No one is ganging up on you. They are just trying to help and you are unwilling to take any help nor any advice from others.

The only thing I have seen any proof of is that YOU are not willing to listen to others advice about anything. Does it really matter what the topic is? No.

And to be honest, you are NOT right about anything here. The only thing you are showing to everyone here is that you are immature and unwilling to admit that others just might possibly know more about what they are talking about than you do.

If you want to learn something from this forum and the people who are here, offering advice and guidance of their own free will, is to quit arguing with them and listen to what they have to say. If you can't do that than perhaps this isn't the forum for you. I really hate pushing people away from forums but when that person is unwilling to listen to anything anyone else has to say, there really is no point in that person sticking around.

So, listen to what others have to suggest and say and put those suggestions into practice. Who knows, you just might learn something from this forum.

kaycy and u people are ganging up on me. point proved, im right. thanks for the "advice" on the thread topic which was HTML5 NOT DTDS,
solved.

Ok. I'm a bit confused. Will we need to switch to HTML 5 or what we are already using work just fine?

Kaycy, the answer is no, you will not have to change to using html5.

The doctype you use tells the browser what tags are legal within that type, and how to interpret them. So when html99 comes out, if you have written a page using html4.01 and declared that doctype, it will still work exactly the same way as just now, even if all the tags we now use have been totally replaced by something else in html99.

Doctypes enable a web page written when one level of html was common to be interpreted properly when a more advanced level of html comes out, by stating which version of html you are using. The browser makers build in the correct method to use to interpret each version of html. So your pages will work okay.

Without a doctype, a browser will switch into what is called quirks mode, and quirks mode is rather different in every browser, so without a doctype your page can display very differently. Remember that the majority of people do not use firefox, and creating a page that can only display properly in a minority browser such as firefox, or chrome, or safari, or flock, is a very silly thing to do.

Thank you very much. I understand the Doctype much better now and why I need to use it. Dreamweave auto puts that info in when I create new pages. Yes, I try to check my web pages with different browsers, mainly I.E..

Kaycy, the answer is no, you will not have to change to using html5.

The doctype you use tells the browser what tags are legal within that type, and how to interpret them. So when html99 comes out, if you have written a page using html4.01 and declared that doctype, it will still work exactly the same way as just now, even if all the tags we now use have been totally replaced by something else in html99.

Doctypes enable a web page written when one level of html was common to be interpreted properly when a more advanced level of html comes out, by stating which version of html you are using. The browser makers build in the correct method to use to interpret each version of html. So your pages will work okay.

Without a doctype, a browser will switch into what is called quirks mode, and quirks mode is rather different in every browser, so without a doctype your page can display very differently. Remember that the majority of people do not use firefox, and creating a page that can only display properly in a minority browser such as firefox, or chrome, or safari, or flock, is a very silly thing to do.

Thank you very much. I understand the Doctype much better now and why I need to use it. Dreamweave auto puts that info in when I create new pages. Yes, I try to check my web pages with different browsers, mainly I.E..

grab a thumbdrive (no install, registry-less, portable apps) version of firefox that you can either install on a thumbdrive or just drop in a folder on the pc, sure that the code works in the majority, minor browser.
the no-install version wont take over, just sit there till you open it
if the page works in IE and firefox, close to a motza that it will work in everything else
(thumbdrive versions of avant firefox safari lynx opera maxthon)
http://www.browsershots.org is good, but the delay between requests and returned screenshots makes its use as a development tool, pointless

Member Avatar for diafol

Just to finish off. Skank, please get a handle on yourself.

My take: You need a DTD to tell the browser which 'flavour' of markup it's supposed to be displaying. If you don't supply one, it has to guess. Enter quirks mode. This does its best to render/display all the info properly, but due to the differences in HTML, XHTML, XML and other variants, it will never be able to get everything right. Each browser has its own way of doing the quirk thing - so expect differences.

Main players = Trident (IE), Gecko (Firefox/Mozilla/Camino) and Webkit (Chrome/Safari) and Presto (Opera). I get a mate to test KHTML browsers (Konqueror).

Most websites evolve. If it works in all today, there is no guarantee that it will in all work tomorrow.

HTML5 is a considerable way off from being fully implemented across the board, so until then, I'll be sticking with XHTML1.0 Transitional and Strict.

A short brief about HTML5

It is very updated and current version of HTML, there is no need to show the browser to read dtd declaration for SGML, as before html 4.0, and many more new tag added. Also many more tag removed in this addition.finally IE9 will support this version.

Mozila Firefox 3.6.3 support maximum tag, but not all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.