Hello,

I trying to understand the point of css statements that target specific browsers.

If Firefox can understand "-moz-border-radius" why can't it understand "border-radius" ?
Does "-moz-border-radius" predate "border-radius" ? Is that what's going on?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Borders are out. You can add border looking lines in CSS, one a particular px width with your chosen color, but borders are no longer recognized by some browsers, Firefox being one. I lost the borders years ago, as it seems transitional to the surfer, many not crossing that line.

Here is code for a border line for a blockquote as it is titled.

blockquote
{border-left: 5px solid #000000;}

Put this in Try that. Hope it helps.

SEODomainNames.com

Try:

{border-radius: 5px solid #000000;}

Enter your chosen border colors and width.

Pardon, forgot to add that.

SEO Domain Names

commented: the question was about cross browser css for the radius class and not about borders... +0

i'm not exactly why either.. but i know it's easier to create two style sheets and style the one according to FF and Chrome etc and then one for IE which you call via conditional commenting. it will then be easier to get everythign to display the way it should cross browser

<link href="<%=ResolveUrl("~/style/FFStyle.css") %>" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<!--[if IE]>
     <link href="<%=ResolveUrl("~/style/IEStyle.css") %>" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<![endif]-->

i'm not exactly why either.. but i know it's easier to create two style sheets and style the one according to FF and Chrome etc and then one for IE which you call via conditional commenting. it will then be easier to get everythign to display the way it should cross browser

<link href="<%=ResolveUrl("~/style/FFStyle.css") %>" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<!--[if IE]>
     <link href="<%=ResolveUrl("~/style/IEStyle.css") %>" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
<![endif]-->

This perfect code for browser specific CSS,this way you get the link of that and helpful for all and for Internet explorer you call via conditional comment,this is really a easy way.

Does "-moz-border-radius" predate "border-radius" ? Is that what's going on?

Yes, exactly. Until the specification is finalized, the browser engines don't want to officially support a given feature (because they're trying to hit a potentially moving target). This is why they prefix.

Don't use proprietary features, and css works - almost.

The css2 and css3 standards are not yet universal. Wait until more browsers are using them.

The other thing to not do if you want browser compatibility is to not put size styles (width, height) in the same tags or styles that contain nonzero surround styles (margin, border, padding).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.