Sorry for what may well be a simple question. Just starting out here so.. I have created a very basic html document, stored it in the correct folder on my macbook pro and then used safari to browse it. But is displays the source code! Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What type of application did you use to create you basic web page? A word processor? A text editor? A web page creation program?

From where I'm sitting just now I can see nothing wrong with your file, so we need a few clues.

It can hapen if you were using program in the wrong way. For example if you use Dreamveawer and type your code inside designer view instead of code view. So we need to know first wich program did you use for creating html.

Make sure you are saving the file as an .html extension

index.html

If you're using notepad or some simple text editor, it may have saved it as a .tzt file extension.

weird
try this:

open a simple text editor
add these html lines:

<html><body><h1>Example</h1> 
</body></html>

save as index.html
open with your browser

if you see the html site instead of the source code it means you are doing something wrong, it could be the file extension or the development application your are using

What type of application did you use to create you basic web page? A word processor? A text editor? A web page creation program?

From where I'm sitting just now I can see nothing wrong with your file, so we need a few clues.

Hi drjohn, thanks for replying I have been away for a while so not checked back. I fixed the problem and to tell the truth I can´t remember what it was I had done wrong. But is OK now. Just some other problems for which I will find the right place on this site to post :-)

Hi drjohn, thanks for replying I have been away for a while so not checked back. I fixed the problem and to tell the truth I can´t remember what it was I had done wrong. But is OK now. Just some other problems for which I will find the right place on this site to post :-)

... Although I have a small memory concerning file extension. Using NVU by the way, GIMP for graphics.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.