How to create a transparent png or gif file? on photoshop? if yes, can you explain how?

I create 1x1 transparent png/gif file and put it on the box background with y and x repeat, right? is this the idea of transparent backgrounds?

Thnx in advance

Edited by Acute: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by windowswarrior0

PNG transparency isn't supported well (i read somewhere that some browsers doesn't support it - opera i think). I guess you try to make transparent background - try RGBA, new in CSS3 - I think that browser support is good now. RGBA def.:

/* standard color without transparency */
background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
/* browsers that support rgba will overwrite the first rule - transparency is set in percents divided by 100: 92% == 0.92 */  
background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9);

I know in Photoshop when you save for web and devices on the top right you can choose to save as png and it has no background

To save a transparent PNG in photoshop, your image first must be edited to delete the background layer (i.e. the area you want to be transparent). Then use the 'File > Save for Web' option, select PNG-24 as the file type and it will save with transparency.

Whatever you do, don't use 1x1 pixel as your PNG size. I did this and Dreamweaver cs5 was tanking.

Every time I tried to even place the cursor in the text, the program would become non-resonsive because it was trying to redrawn the transparent area 1x1 pixel at a time.

Adobe support didn't even know what the problem was. Use as large a tile your smallest column. I used 200x200 and the file was only 0.25 kb.

Kristi

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.