My professor asked us to make out own Web site. He said we cn do whatever kind of Web site we want to make. My problem is, with my limited knowledge in Web designing I really don't know what type of Web Site I can make.I'm afraid I can't make my Web site right, if ever I started and choose a type of Web site. Please help me think what kind of web site, which is easy or even not that hard to do and also make sense.

Thank you :">

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

What kind of website would you like to make? That's most important, IMHO.

Actually that's my problem... I'm afraid to start my project for I'm not sure if I can make it. So will you pls suggest any type of web site. I also want to enhance my ability to design a website. I want this website to be more exciting snd fun. I asked all of you bcoze I know that you know where to start a beginner like me
PS ty

In my opinion, if you choose something you like to make, it's easier to have motivation for it. Anyway, start making something simple. Is it about design, or code?

I think twiss is right. You must have something in mind. Telling you which kind of website you will come up with will just make you dependant on others. The first step is to suggest an area in which you would like to work

Start with a pen and paper scetch of the layout you want, like at the top, the header section, maybe a full width header beackground banner or just the site name, then below that the menu and content areas, etc. Then decide on the colors for background and content areas. Then decide about the type of content.

well you are zero into this web designing .?? if it so ..its a huge ask for you.sure you need anyones help.if u have some knowledge in web and the software then its easy task.go search for some simple design and try to recreate with your colors in any designing software's like photoshop or GIMP...and you need to convert that into HTMl using frontpage or some HTML editor :-) congrats and if you got struck up in the middle we are here to help you .....!

In my case... I can say that I'm zero in web designing. But I'll do my best to make some effort and improve my ability in Web Designing :">

Thank you for your kindness and concern. :">
You really gave me an idea (what I really like huh) :">

OK so you pick something that you like for your site topic.
Do a search online and see comparable sites to see what others have done and note what you like and dislike about each of them.
Now for the tech stuff, what web servers do you have windows, linux etc? and how do they accept uploads, probably stick to FTP as being fairly uniform. This will also allow you to decide what tools (web disgn software you'll use), for example building asp pages is great for windows but on other servers?? You won't always get the option to choose what platform your server is running on.
Now you have your server, and decided on tools to help you.
Now sketch out your page layout and menu system with some dummy content to see if it all flows as you want it. Now give the paper version to someone who knows nothing about your interest and see what they think, it's easy to convert the choir but you want everyone including the sinners to be interested. Do your tweeks from this.

Now go to it.
Oh by the way here are some of the meta tags you may want to use use for pages on your site (not a complete list):

<title>Page Title</title>
<meta name="description" content="Page Description" >
<meta name="keywords" content="Page Keywords,seapareted by commas" >
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.YOURSITE.com/favicon.ico" />
/* the next few are for pinning to W7 taskbar */
<link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="http://www.YOURSITE.com/favicon.ico" />
<meta name="application-name" content="SITE NAME" />
<meta name="msapplication-tooltip" content="Tooltip message" />
<meta name="msapplication-starturl" content="http://www.YOURSITE.com" />
<meta name="msapplication-window" content="width=600;height=600" />
<meta name="msapplication-navbutton-color" content="#a9a9a9" />
<meta HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="false">
/* robots etc */
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">
<meta name="revisit-after" content="DAYS YOU WANT SEARCH ENGINES TO REVISIT USUALLY 30">
<meta name="language" content="en-us">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<meta name="classification" content="AREA OF INTEREST">
<meta name="distribution" content="GLOBAL OR REGION">

Hope some of this is of value

Wow, that's an interesting list of meta's. I don't, however, recommend just copying all of them: only selectively use the ones you want. Generally, I would start with only a title, icon, description, keywords, and perhaps a language. I would drop Content-Language, too. Of course, if you want to change the behavior of a indexing engine you can start to add robots and revisit-after, etcetera.

I also think that if you are a newbie in web design, you should ask for someones help, otherwise you will have to read a lot about it, and make lots of experiments. But as I understood - you have a lack of time, you need a good teacher, who would show you the basics of web design.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.