I can't figure out why my tables are being pushed to the right so much in FireFox.

Please take a look and let me know what you think the problem could be.

http://ground360.org/coupons/

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Check in your external css, there is any style control fieldset element?

<fieldset>
<legend accesskey="I">Search Offers</legend>
<table>

</table>
</fieldset>

Check in your external css, there is any style control fieldset element?

<fieldset>
<legend accesskey="I">Search Offers</legend>
<table>

</table>
</fieldset>

The only mention of fieldset is in forms.css (http://localhost/groundfare/common/css/forms.css). But nothing there should be causing a problem like this, all it does is add a thin orange border.

I couldn't view your website.. There's an error retrieving it..
Anyway, usually you have to set the align property in the table tag in order for it to work on Firefox. You should do this even if you've set an alignment for a paragraph containing this table..
For example:

<table align="center"......>.....</table>

This should work properly.. Hope it helps.

@KPheasey:
Please tell us when youre done with your code and whether it is solved or not.

commented: Why post this? You have contributed absolutely nothing to the thread. -3

I couldn't view your website.. There's an error retrieving it..
Anyway, usually you have to set the align property in the table tag in order for it to work on Firefox. You should do this even if you've set an alignment for a paragraph containing this table..
For example:

<table align="center"......>.....</table>

This should work properly.. Hope it helps.

This had no affect on the position of the fieldset.

I have noticed that the problem is only happening where a <fieldset> is used. I tried messing with some of the style attributes like position, but have not had any success.

Well, sorry! I couldn't open your website..
Why don't you post the snippet of your code where you think the problem is??

Well, sorry! I couldn't open your website..
Why don't you post the snippet of your code where you think the problem is??

I don't even know where the problem could be, when I look at the layout in firebug, everything seems fine.

It's odd that you can't access the site, it's a test server but still public. It seems as if other posters where able to access it. http://ground360.org/coupons/

You should never use tables for layout. It is an outdated technique from 1996. The problem is from margin: 0; in this CSS rule.

ul#menu {
    background: url("../img/menu-bg.gif") repeat-x scroll left top #FFFFFF;
    font-family: "Lucida Grande",Verdana,sans-serif;
    font-size: 0.8em;
    font-weight: bold;
    height: 43px;
    list-style-type: none;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    width: 100%;
}

This is because the form isn't being pushed far enough down. You can either remove the margin: 0; and allow FF to set it automatically. Or you can use margin-bottom: 8px; Regards
Arkinder

You should never use tables for layout. It is an outdated technique from 1996. The problem is from margin: 0; in this CSS rule.

ul#menu {
    background: url("../img/menu-bg.gif") repeat-x scroll left top #FFFFFF;
    font-family: "Lucida Grande",Verdana,sans-serif;
    font-size: 0.8em;
    font-weight: bold;
    height: 43px;
    list-style-type: none;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    width: 100%;
}

This is because the form isn't being pushed far enough down. You can either remove the margin: 0; and allow FF to set it automatically. Or you can use margin-bottom: 8px; Regards
Arkinder

Removing the margin solved the problem, thank you very much.

I realize that tables are outdated, but I didn't get a choice in design, I'm just the developer, the design was done more than a year ago. However, I did add the menu element (which is why that isn't in a table lol).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.