Hi i saw this site on the net, http://www.freewebs.com/poohishcorner/ and liked the way it was layed out, how do i make the main body of my site go in a box in the centre of the site? At the moment my site looks funny accross different resolutions so i would like to keep it all boxed in.

And how do i change the arrows at the side of the page to a color that i want?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

There may be a better way to create your site in a box, and center it, but in the past I have used the <center> tag for centering a 1x1 table, and then putting the rest of the content inside of the single table cell. I dunno if this is a hack job or standard practice, maybe that is why I'm not in web design. :)

<table width="720px" align="center">
  <tr><td align="left" valign="top">

PAGE CONTENT HERE

</td></tr>
</table>

Good idea Dani. :)

And yes, you're right. That is the standard way of doing things. For the most part, tables are used to position content on the screen (have it wrap, have it in columns, etc.) Some people are starting to get into heavily into XHTML and CSS though, in which the same effect could theoretically be obtained with div and span tags. i.e. the following:

<div align="center">
<span style="border:1px solid; width:750px; padding:2px; margin:2px">

Centered Text With Border Around It

</span>
</div>

Of course, more effects can be added. (background color, font, etc.) all to the span style element, and it renders much quickly than tables in the latest browsers. The class element can also be used to attach a CSS file with the style information, to separate html mark-up from visual design.

<table width="720px" align="center">

PAGE CONTENT HERE

</td></tr>
</table>

This is what you want, except I would probably make the width a percentage like 90%, this way, no matter what resolution the user is running it is, the table will only ever take up 90% of the screen, and will remain in the centre. Like this:

<table width="90%" align="center">

PAGE CONTENT HERE

</td></tr>
</table>

the 90% can be replaced with whatever percentage you need to satisfy your requirements, savvy?

Slade

Thanks everyone

No problem, that's what were here for right? Non-payed technical support. :'(. Blah :P just kidding, it's great, I help with what little knowledge I have and I get heaps out of it! Thanks Dani for setting this site up, it's awesome.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.