I have been pulling my hair out on this one. I still am very new to css and website design so someone expernce might spot it clear as day.

my test site is www.alcohol-injection.com/1alcohol/

In ie6 I don't have 7 so might do the same. I am getting an undesired spacing in the left menu. I also get it sporaticly between the header and the nav. If you view my site in ff or opera it looks as i want. Just can't get it to quite layout right in Ie. I would greatly apreciate any help anyone could offer me.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I can't see you problem on the left hand nav but there are a few different things that may help you fix this, these should be on you element in css:

.header {
border: 0px;
padding: 0px;
margin: 0px;
line-height: Xem;
}

You can just mess around with the line height X number until you get it right.

I have helped someone else out before with this problem before, here is the link http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/post297370.html

hope this helps

I realy apreciate your help.

I know if i turn repeat on. the image in Ie shows up 3 times. maybe that will shead some light.

I put the included css in mine, I was missing the class :( I nedd to go thur it all and see what else i am missing, and what i can remove or combine in the css file. Its still bloated. This is my first time using css. You have no idea how bad the template was. I have 300 less lines of output and it downloads for a 56ker near 8 secs. It usta take over 40 secs.

But back on track. Me putting that fixed the spacing problem i was getting between my header and nave every few reloads.

I have tried putting it in the left nav are in the differn divs and its not helping there. I will go thru the link provided to see if there is something there that helps.

Sorry, I didn't intend you to add the class header that was just an example, let me know if you still need help.

Yea, i stil need help, i spent all weekend log messing with it. It seem everything i try never works or messes up other things.

The problem is that IE does things differently than other browsers. If the page displays correctly on IE, it usually glumps up on other browsers. If it works on other browsers, it does something weird on IE.

As an example, the width style is supposed to include the padding and margins, so the total width the object occupies is counted. But IE excludes the padding and margins, so the object takes up more space than the declared width indicates. So when I make a page which shows two equally-wide columns, IE displays them as unequal, makes them too wide and adds a scroll bar, or puts one column above the other in single column form.

Something tells me that Microsift does it on purpose. Since most developers use IE to test their work, it will look like the other browsers are the ones which malfunction. But the other browsers are the ones following the standard.

I code with Firefox and Netscape, then check to see that IE doesn't mess it up too badly. If IE is going to mess up a little, I just let it, just to show how goofy IE is.

I just let it, just to show how goofy IE is.

You say that but it does exactly the opposite like you said early on in your post, it makes the other browsers look bad.

Well when laying the site out i used ff for my testing browser. After that i took a peak with good old Ie6.

You say that but it does exactly the opposite like you said early on in your post, it makes the other browsers look bad.

I write the code standard, so the real culprit looks bad.

I think the easiest way to make your site look good is to use both browser for testing. Or even use the ff plugin ie tab. Anyway the idea of web design isn't to make your site look bad, because most people who use the web will thinks it is your website that looks bad not the browser that is making it look bad.

Mm. IE is used by (maybe not most, but) a huuuuge subset of Internet users. I know for a fact that many of these users are either casual, very busy, or just unbothered by standards because the Internet works for them.

These people make up a sizeable chunk of the real 'consumers' on the Internet, and they're definately worth targetting.

IE7 seems alot more correct when it comes to rendering. It's a horrific interface though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.