I have been playing this online game called runescape, and everytime I play it my computer keeps rebooting... the computer just restarts again, there is no blue screen message, there is no scandisk, nothing ... the computer just starts up again.

I have tried everything the game's site owners have recommended but still the problem persists ..

I'm running Win XP, with IE6 and the game requires java, and my Java is the latest version as well, any clues ?

here is my HJT log :

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 3:44:15 PM, on 2/9/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\soundman.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\AcerGoto.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\RAMpage\RAMpage.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\GSICON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dslagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Fong CT\My Documents\HijackThis\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.flags.net/country.php?country=UNKG&section=CURR
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] soundman.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcerGoto] C:\WINDOWS\System32\AcerGoto.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RAMpage] "C:\Program Files\RAMpage\RAMpage.exe" M=28 T=5 A B P="C:\Program Files\RAMpage\RAMpageConfig.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GSICONEXE] GSICON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLAGENTEXE] dslagent.exe USB
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {2A32B14F-4D29-4EA3-AC54-E9B19F436CE7} (Scanner Class) - http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/TDECntrl.CAB
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1105797101561
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Your log is clean.

1. Do the restarts occur only when playing this particular game?

2. Are there any errors/messages in your log files which might help pinpoint the problem? You can view the logs by opening the Event Viewer application in your Administrative Tools folder.

3. Has the problem been present ever since you first started using the game, or did it start sometime after that?

Hey thanks for the reply ...

Well the prob occurs mostly when I'm playing the game, yes, but it happens also sometimes when I'm not but that's pretty rare ... I have upgraded my video card from 32 MB to 64 MB, contacted my ISP ( no problems with my acct or line) tried with a different modem, changed my USB ports but they don't help ...

So ... any clues ?

OK, but as I asked before:

- Are there any errors/messages in your log files which might help pinpoint the problem? You can view the logs by opening the Event Viewer application in your Administrative Tools folder.

- Has the problem been present ever since you first started using the game, or did it start sometime after that?

Does your power supply have enough oomph for your video card?

How much RAM does your system have?

Ok to answer the 2 queries ..

my comp has 256 RAM my vid card is 64 MB ...
is that enough ?

as for the event logs ... hmm .. well I have to go through that and get back on this ...

well this prob has been happening before , but only on rare occasions ... but when online gaming, it occurs on aregular basis ... in fact it actually it happens practically every session I am on ...

Your amount of RAM and VRAM should be fine; even if you had a problem of insufficient memory, I really doubt it would cause something as drastic as hard restarts.

1. Check your logs and get back to us. Don't be surprised if the logs hold no clues though; when systems crash in an abrupt enough way, they often don't have a chance to write to the logs before they go down.

2. Do you play any other online games, and if so, do they crash the system as well?

3. If it's just Runescape, has you tried removing and reinstalling the program?

4. Open your computer's case and check everything carefully:

- Are all fans running properly and smoothly?
- Is the interior free of dust and dirt, and is the machine sufficiently ventilated?
- Remove and re-insert all PCI cards, memory modules, and cables. Make sure all are seated/connected correctly and firmly.

5. You could obviously have a weak or failing piece of hardware. If possible, try replacing your video, network, etc. cards one at a time.

6. You can test your RAM with the free "memtest86" utility, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.