LilOlMe 0 Newbie Poster

Hi there!
I'm developing a VB.NET web application that has to be able to read from a USB Flash Drive.
I've noticed that someone else has posted a similar question on this forum but the answer was never provided to them.

I have gotten a bit further than the other person...I realize that ASP.NET does not have the ability to do this...that I'm going to have to develop an ActiveX control in order to access the client's machine.

The thing is...I'm not too thrilled with the idea of using ActiveX (because of security reasons)...and so I've been looking for a way to develop a .NET version of an ActiveX control.

I've developed a UserControl in VB.NET that finds the USB device correctly etc. It's been tested and works fine.

However, when I deploy this object as I would an ActiveX control...the control appears but does not actually do anything.

I'm assuming that there is a Trust/Permissions problem that is preventing my .NET "ActiveX" control from running.........

I've developed a VB6 ActiveX control which is able run perfectly fine through the browser...but this is unmanaged code and so the .NET security is by-passed by this control.

Does anyone have any idea on how to go about deploying a ".NET-ActiveX" control?

Thanks a lot!

-LilOlMe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.