My wifes office bought one of those all in one units.

It refused to install the driver without upgrading Internet Explorer AND having full access to the internet.

Never again will I buy another HP product....

I locked the access once the driver was installed and I used a tool to save the drivers as an exe for future use....

HP can take their SpyProducts and their smart chip enabled ink cartridges and stick them where the sun never shines...

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

what model is it???

/me shrugs

Every company does that no a days, I stay away from everything low market end from HP, Compaq, Gateway, eMachines.

I use Dell for any non custom work I do, and they haven't lead me wrong so far, every big server I have is a dell box, even my home dev server is a dell, as well as my laptop.

The only I've ever bought from HP is printers and scanners. I've been satisfied to date... One thing though; never in a million years would I buy a pc from them.

Their printers are even subpar, a good printer has seperated ink tanks.. not combined..

This is again for their entry level items, high business class hardware is a differnt story.

I want to say it is a 2700...

It was between 5 and 6 hundred...
Hardly entry level or home use...

I also have a HP2000 Pro...
It has individual tanks and individual heads for all colors

The tanks and heads are smart chipped and even if they are half full or the heads are functioning fine they shut down the printer until THE RANSOM is paid to HP...

Not every company does it...
I have a low end canon $125 (Individual ink tanks) no spyware and no smart chips. It does shut down if the ink blotter is full, but Canon gives you the reset code. If it overflows it is my own fault... Many people reset it 2 or 3 times before they really need to replace it (a $6 part available online...)

Member Avatar for Electrohead

Don't HP make compaq pcs?

I want to say it is a 2700...

It was between 5 and 6 hundred...
Hardly entry level or home use...

I also have a HP2000 Pro...
It has individual tanks and individual heads for all colors

The tanks and heads are smart chipped and even if they are half full or the heads are functioning fine they shut down the printer until THE RANSOM is paid to HP...

I have a low end canon $125 (Individual ink tanks) no spyware and no smart chips. It does shut down if the ink blotter is full, but Canon gives you the reset code. If it overflows it is my own fault... Many people reset it 2 or 3 times before they really need to replace it (a $6 part available online...)

Cannon makes printers, and cameras and a few other optical devices, they are not a computer company.

Thats why you don't see this, I am refering to most entry level home computer companies, eMachines, HP, Compaq, etc.

And when I say entry level, I'm talking about home user basis, you get a enterprise level, or even large business level, there is a huge difference in quaility.

Their printers are even subpar, a good printer has seperated ink tanks.. not combined..

I prefer the way HP does things. No trouble with having to send the printer in for repairs when the printhead gets clogged up with ink after not using the thing for a while (had that happen more than once).
And even if you do have to throw some ink away once in a while it's in my experience still usually cheaper too than separate inks (each cartridge for say a Canon here costs about the same as a multi-colour HP cartridge having almost the same amount of ink of EACH colour in it).

And of course they last very long and keep supplying ink for out of production printers years and years into the future.

Don't HP make compaq pcs?

Yes and no. They took over Compaq and so own the production lines, but Compaq have separate design and production facilities from HP (for as long as it lasts, I expect "consolidation" to happen in the not too distant future).

What's all this you speak of?!

I don't know anything about said printers(quite frankly I never cared), I just have a $99 Cannon portable to print text an things in B&W.

What's all this about smart chips and spyware?

True. My hp 3320 printer driver started whining about low ink 4 months ago, and I still havent run out of ink...The reason i bought hp was that they got out rugged products. But my printer is an exception, I guess. If I haven't used the thing, for say 4 days, then when I turn on the device, the damn thing keeps making some weird noises. Extremely loud too, much like you'd hear when a plastic part breaks....

Hi TI; I've used Epsom for about 7 years. Bought one of their new 3-in-1 models at the beginning of the year and was never happy with the printing. If I left it alone for a few days it printed crappy and I would always have to clean the nozzles. When I needed new ink I bought some from one of those cut rate companies that I have used happily in the past. Put the ink in and up comes a stupid notice saying I had to use Epsom ink in there. That ink company was nice and accepted the ink back. I threw the bloody printer out and left Epsom for good.

I have a wonderful Canon Pixma iP5000 now and am very happy with the quality of the printing. I am due for ink replacement -- does anyone here know if it will accept the cheaper ink, or does this have those wise-assed ball-busting smart chips in it too?

- Foxtrot.

There are too many commercial software programmers out there who assume that all computers using their products will have access to the internet.

But there are many applications where internet access is either unlikely (no communications available), or will cause timing problems which defeat the original purpose of having the computer (such as a home recording studio).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.