Hi, every so often for the past few weeks my machine (Mesh Matrix 1800) has been acting wierd. I've had this for around 5 years and it's worked without problem. Now, when I try to shut down, it takes anything from 15 mins to never shutting down and I just have to use the button.

Sometimes when I switch on, it doesn't get past the 1st stage and ends at the listing of the Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave sort of thing. The light on the Floppy Drive stays on too.

If I press the Del key I can't get anything from the screen that appears. How can I get into safe mode?

I've checked all the connections on the drives, etc, everything seems to be fine. Sometimes it boots up if I press the restart button, other times it kicks into action if I leave it off for a day or so.

I've tried to access my recovery CD but that doesn't work either unless the machine is totally booted up & into windows. But the problem there is that when I try to run the disc it says that it can't help as I have a newer version of windows. I use XP which came preinstalled by the manufacturer MESH Computers. Probably the problem there is that I've installed the Windows XP Service Pack 2. Would it do any damaged to uninstall Service Pack 2 & run the recovery disc?

Is there any kind of program online to check it over? A friend says someone on eBay sells a recovery CD that will boot your machine up from any state, even dead.

Thanking you in advance, John.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

jdrenam,

I don't know much about the Windows XP shutdown routine, but this is a Windows issue. The computer not booting past HDD recognition is a BIOS issue. I recommend checking with MESH. Although your warranty period may be over, they still owe you an explanation as to why the CD would not work. Are you sure that this doesn’t work? To get into Safe Mode, you need to press F8 when prompted by the Windows splash screen.

You've stated that your connections/cables are all connected properly, and hopefully you've checked all of your cards and memory sticks to confirm they are properly seated in their respective locations! Next I would suspect a peripheral. Have you recently installed any new hardware (external or internal)? This could cause an issue in both BIOS and Windows. After this, I would look into the BIOS configuration. Perhaps there is a simple error in the current settings, or perhaps you are in need of an update and/or flash? Unfortunately there is no one program that tells you what's the exact issue, but looking in a few places (Windows Device manager, BIOS configuration utility, inside your computer, and recent additions to your computer) you can usually put together the pieces of the puzzle to get the big picture.

A shot in the dark would be to run the system file checker to ensure all of your Windows system files were correct. To do this, insert your XP (MESH) CD into the CD-ROM. Open the command prompt: Start >> Run >> type: cmd >> Press OK >> type: sfc /scannow. This probably won't solve your issue, but it cannot hurt.

Regarding

A friend says someone on eBay sells a recovery CD that will boot your machine up from any state, even dead.

I've got a few bridges I want to sell both of you...also on CD.

J_

jdrenam,

I don't know much about the Windows XP shutdown routine, but this is a Windows issue. The computer not booting past HDD recognition is a BIOS issue. I recommend checking with MESH. Although your warranty period may be over, they still owe you an explanation as to why the CD would not work. Are you sure that this doesn’t work? To get into Safe Mode, you need to press F8 when prompted by the Windows splash screen.

You've stated that your connections/cables are all connected properly, and hopefully you've checked all of your cards and memory sticks to confirm they are properly seated in their respective locations! Next I would suspect a peripheral. Have you recently installed any new hardware (external or internal)? This could cause an issue in both BIOS and Windows. After this, I would look into the BIOS configuration. Perhaps there is a simple error in the current settings, or perhaps you are in need of an update and/or flash? Unfortunately there is no one program that tells you what's the exact issue, but looking in a few places (Windows Device manager, BIOS configuration utility, inside your computer, and recent additions to your computer) you can usually put together the pieces of the puzzle to get the big picture.

A shot in the dark would be to run the system file checker to ensure all of your Windows system files were correct. To do this, insert your XP (MESH) CD into the CD-ROM. Open the command prompt: Start >> Run >> type: cmd >> Press OK >> type: sfc /scannow. This probably won't solve your issue, but it cannot hurt.

RegardingI've got a few bridges I want to sell both of you...also on CD.

J_

Thanks for your reply. I've tried getting in touch with MESH, but their system no longer recognises me & I couldn't get through on the phone (surprise surprise). You'd think they'd have a straightforward email address but I couldn't find one & when I tried to re-register, their system was crawling I gave up after about 10mins.

I'm off to try what you've suggested.

There are a number of reasons your PC might not boot (Viruses, Missing/Corrupt Files, Bad Sectors/Damaged Hard Drive etc) but what I would do 1st of all is check if your PC will boot from a Bootable CD (the PC does not boot from the Hard Drive - just from the CD! and you can run programs from the CD to change passwords, scan for viruses, check and fix the hard drive, recover files, etc).
You may then be able to fix the problem (using the tools included) or at least determine if it is a hardware or software fault (if the PC boots from CD it must be Windows or the Hard Drive that is corrupt, if it wont boot from a bootable CD its probably another hardware fault. i.e. Motherboard / Memory)
You can get a Bootable PC Repair CD or a Bootable Bart Disk at
click here: or here:
Hope this helps!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.