Hi,
I have a presario 2100 that I Have owned for about a year now... recently when I would power off, when i rebooted it took forever to post... if it even did, then very sluggish until the windows screen, then all was fine...Well recently it did its normal anticks but this time when it restarted itself ... just the power lights (without touching the button), and the mute light come on solid, no beeps, nothing... and if I hold the power button, nothing happens, just those light come on... I took the laptop apart all the way to the cmos chip, took that out, shorted the pins and left it out for a good hour... The only way I can shut it off is to unplug all power sources...
I put it back together and still does the same thing!!!
Any ideas? :)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The exact same problem. I mean its like cheezomlet you are posting for me :eek:

All the leds on top (power, caps, num) stay on and the mute led goes on as soon as I put the battery. I left it open for half an hour just like that and nothing happens. I took it to the COMPAQ repair center here and after charging me for about Rs.1000 (~ USD $30) they told me the motherboard needs to be replaced, which costs another Rs.15000 (~USD 350). The worst part is the whole thing was working absolutely fine 10 minutes before it just went all dead. The only thing I did recently was I purchased an additional battery from DIGITAL but that did work fine for a month ( just trying to connect the dots ). I tried to open it myself but I can't get the thing apart even after I remove all the screws??

Anyway cheezomlet what the update on yours? Also does anybody know anything about this? :idea:

This seems to ba a common problem with the Presario 2100 laptops. I have one that does the same thing. It will even turn itself on while sitting in my laptop bag. The only way I have been able to get it to function again is to remove the battery and the AC adapter. Then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Next, connect the AC adapter, but do not insert the battery, and try powering the laptop up. If this doesn't work, I remove all the memory, battery, and AC adapter, press the small reset button on the bottom of the laptop with a straightened paper clip, and then insert one memory stick and connect the AC adapter and try again. The last time this happened I removed the battery, AC adapter, and memory and left the laptop sit for about a week. Upon reinstalling all the components, it started working again. Search Google for "Presario 2100 problems" and you will find quite a few posts from others having similar problems. Since most of these laptops are less than 2 years old, maybe users need to flood HP/Compaq with complaints to get them to admit it is a design or manufacturing problem. Toshiba finally sucumbed to customer pressure and bad press about their 1800 series laptops with an LCD/inverter defect and extended the factory warranty to cover this specific flaw. Maybe with enough customer pressure, HP/Compaq will accept responsibility for this flaw and work wth customers to fix it.

Yeah :(,
I ended up buying another Motherboard off ebay... They are not cheap.
I did call HP support and after 20 minutes of "newb" testing they also said it is a bad motherboard.
I agree that all of us should flood HP woth emails about this defective Motherboard and make them be responsible. Possible give us a replacement that is updated (if they even make the unit anymore) or a credit towards another laptop that will last at least 4 to 5 years!!!, not 1 year!!!
Oh well, good luch to all that are haveing the same issues with this POS, I ended up buying a refurbed Gateway 2.8 gig in the meantime, I need it for work!.

Bill

This seems to ba a common problem with the Presario 2100 laptops. I have one that does the same thing. It will even turn itself on while sitting in my laptop bag. The only way I have been able to get it to function again is to remove the battery and the AC adapter. Then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds. Next, connect the AC adapter, but do not insert the battery, and try powering the laptop up. If this doesn't work, I remove all the memory, battery, and AC adapter, press the small reset button on the bottom of the laptop with a straightened paper clip, and then insert one memory stick and connect the AC adapter and try again. The last time this happened I removed the battery, AC adapter, and memory and left the laptop sit for about a week. Upon reinstalling all the components, it started working again. Search Google for "Presario 2100 problems" and you will find quite a few posts from others having similar problems. Since most of these laptops are less than 2 years old, maybe users need to flood HP/Compaq with complaints to get them to admit it is a design or manufacturing problem. Toshiba finally sucumbed to customer pressure and bad press about their 1800 series laptops with an LCD/inverter defect and extended the factory warranty to cover this specific flaw. Maybe with enough customer pressure, HP/Compaq will accept responsibility for this flaw and work wth customers to fix it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.