I think I have the motherload of all viruses. I loaded Norton2004 and am unable to get updates or go to symantec for any help. my computer occasionally goes black and pops back on. i cant get intelligent updates and i was told by msn that i have corrupt files. i removed IE and reloaded but no help. I was told to remove all and reload Xp. can any one help?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think I have the motherload of all viruses. I loaded Norton2004 and am unable to get updates or go to symantec for any help. my computer occasionally goes black and pops back on. i cant get intelligent updates and i was told by msn that i have corrupt files. i removed IE and reloaded but no help. I was told to remove all and reload Xp. can any one help?

First of all, I don't know how you managed to remove IE - infact, I don't think you will have totally. Internet Explorer is integrated into the source code of Windows XP.

I helped my grandad with something similar recently so hopefully I should be able to help. What you will probably need to do is go to the Symantec website and download the newest version of LiveUpdate instead of it happening automatically. Once you've installed that (just to be sure) run a virus scan of your hard disk. While this is happening it will be wise to be connected to the internet to see if the new version of LiveUpdate is working properly. If it finds a virus, it will be cleaned and if it doesn't then you probably won't need to reinstall the OS.

You might want to reinstall IE before you do all that, just in case you have actually corrupted it.

Hope this helps.

Go here to TrendMicro for an on-line scan & set it to autoclean for you.

Try this scan at Panda as well.

Once you have done that, Download & instal Adaware from here
& update it before scanning.
In settings under 'scanning,' have it set to
'scan within archives,'
'scan active processes,'
'scan registry,'
'deepscan registry'
'scan my IE Favourites for banned URL's,'
'scan my host's file.'
In 'tweaks' under 'scanning engine' set it to 'unload recognised processes during scanning.'
Also in 'tweaks' under 'cleaning engine' set it to 'Always try to unload Modules before deletion' & 'let Windows remove files in use at next reboot.'
Select 'activate in-depth scan' before starting scan.
When the scan is finished select 'next.'
Remove what it finds by placing a check in the box to the left of the object. Reboot

Download & instal Spybot S&D from here. Update it before scanning.
After the scan is complete, have spybot fix everything marked RED.
On the page that first opens when you start Spybot there is an option to immunise, you should do this. In the immunise section there is also a link to download Spywareblaster. This program will prevent the install of bad activex controls that it has knowledge of. Download that & you can keep it updated by selecting the same link that you use to download it. Reboot

If you are still having problems after doing that, Download HijackThis from here & unzip it into it's own, permanent folder, (Not a temporary folder or the desktop (in a folder on the desktop is fine) & not directly on your hard drive). If you prefer an executable file, then download from here.
If you have anything disabled in MsConfig, please re-enable it/them.
Start HJT & with all browser windows closed, press the scan button. When the scan is finished the scan button will change to save. Save the log to a text file, copy the entire contents of the text file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Moving this to security. Hold on..............

First of all, I don't know how you managed to remove IE - infact, I don't think you will have totally. Internet Explorer is integrated into the source code of Windows XP.

I helped my grandad with something similar recently so hopefully I should be able to help. What you will probably need to do is go to the Symantec website and download the newest version of LiveUpdate instead of it happening automatically. Once you've installed that (just to be sure) run a virus scan of your hard disk. While this is happening it will be wise to be connected to the internet to see if the new version of LiveUpdate is working properly. If it finds a virus, it will be cleaned and if it doesn't then you probably won't need to reinstall the OS.

You might want to reinstall IE before you do all that, just in case you have actually corrupted it.

Hope this helps.

Must have been answering together :). Hope you had your cyber belt on :).

thanks for trying to help me. I am unable to get to any symantec updates of any kind. the virus wont let me. i went to the neighbors computer and went to the site and downloaded it to disk and loaded the updates on to my program. ran the scan and found a virus too k all the steps to remove ti but didnt work i guess. now i jsut want to start all over on a clean slate and reload my programs how do i erase my hard drive and reload xp? . How do i save some of my pictures and mail?

Is your computer working okay other then IE? Do you have a CD burner? Or a USB flash drive?

Is your computer working okay other then IE? Do you have a CD burner? Or a USB flash drive?

It works ok but does not let me visit any sites that deal with virus removal . it flashes black every 10 to 15 min or so. I am ding the microtrend virus schan now and it came up with Malware.worm_agobot.jf so far. I have a cd burner and dont know what a usb flash drive is. i am ready to remove it all and reload if i could figure out how. thanks for helping me. i really appreciate it.

Have you used the CD burner before? If so, you can use it to backup all your pictures, mail, favorites, and other data you have. If you're not sure how to use the burner, go to Start, click on Help and Support, and in the Search text box, just type in burn. You should find instructions there for using it. If you need more help, feel free to post again.

AFTER you back up everything you wish to keep, read this for instructions on reinstalling XP:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6632.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.