Hi there, please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum, but I don't know where to begin. I have tried looking at the tutorials, etc, but the language is way above my head. I have recently bought a second hand computer, which on the outside looked a good one. Its a Sony Vaio, and it seems to have everything together. My knowledge is very limited, as I only really know how to use Microsoft Office, and a nice friendly Windows environment.

Now I know I have Windows XP installed, I was a secretary, so I only ever used the basic office programs, and when I had a problem a nice technical help guy used to come and fix it at work while I went onto another terminal, so unfortunately, I never got to see what he actually did and he never offered any advice, so I went on my merry way. Well I became ill a few months ago, and I have had to leave my job, and I thought well I could do some typing, etc, from home, so obviously I got a computer.

It seems to be functioning ok, but is very slow, however it has alot of memory and ram and it doesn't seem to have many files on the Windows side, but I obviously don't know whats running underneath if you understand. I would also like to surf the web abit but I want to surf it safely. I will be honest, I have looked at your guides and they have just gone straight over my head, because I certainly don't know what you are talking about. Yes I know you are speaking English in the forum, but there are so many strange words, etc, I am completely lost. I know this sounds crazy, but I can't really tell you what is wrong, with the computer, but the feel of the computer feels wrong somehow. The problem is I don't have alot of money to fix the computer, and I have look at the price of all the cleaning tools etc, and it seems to be mounting up in my head. I wonder if some kind person could put me under their wing, and guide with baby steps please.

I do appreciate your time and patience.

Thank you.

Hi Petrena,

There could be all sorts of different reasons why your computer is acting the way it is. For us to try to help, we'll need to see some logs. We can try to rule out malware as a cause of the problem and then go from there.

Can you do this for me:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

• DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
  • Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

Please post this scanlog for us.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Cheers :)
PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.