Have you heard about Xoftspy? It is supposedly the best new spyware protection. Just wanted some info from people on the know.
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Hi ,check the link in my signature of Rouge Spyware tools it makes the list .
this is what it says about it .
aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2); questionable license terms; false positives work as goad to purchase (1, 2, 3, 4); same app as SpyBurn; Ad-aware knockoff - (Note: other domains associated with XoftSpy -- most of which were formerly associated with SpyHunter -- include: adware-destroyer.com, adware-elimination.com, adwarekillers.com, adwares.net, anti-adware.net, antispywares.com, deletespyware.net, removespyware.net, softspy.net, softwho.com, spyware-detection.net, spywareprof.com, spywarepurge.com, spywarerem.com, spywareremoval.net)

Caperjack is correct, don't waste your money on Xoftspy, free programs such as Ad-Aware and SpyBot are better.

hi there well i do know aby Xsoftspy. i have it on my pc but it is an unregistered copy. obviously i need to pay to get it registered 1 thing which i dont wanna do. so i can only scan my pc wothout the possibility of ever removiing those nasty spies. any body have any suggestions of A FREE SPYWARE AVAILABLE ON THE NET AND WHICH IS EASILY DOWNLOADABLE!!1
ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME :p

any body have any suggestions of A FREE SPYWARE AVAILABLE ON THE NET AND WHICH IS EASILY DOWNLOADABLE!!

dlh6213 just listed the two most-recommended tools: Ad Aware and SpyBot. Links to their download sites are in my sig file below.

:)

hi there well i do know aby Xsoftspy. i have it on my pc but it is an unregistered copy. obviously i need to pay to get it registered 1 thing which i dont wanna do. so i can only scan my pc wothout the possibility of ever removiing those nasty spies. any body have any suggestions of A FREE SPYWARE AVAILABLE ON THE NET AND WHICH IS EASILY DOWNLOADABLE!!1
ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME :p

You don't want to remove the things Xoftspy finds anyway, some of them are legitimate files (they do that just to make it look like you have more problems then you really do, I think). It would be best to just get it off your system entirely.

is it necessary to have an antispyware software

It's a good idea to, and to use it regularly. Ever since I have started using Adaware and Spybot on a weekly basis, I have had very little problems with spyware on my computer. I also has Spywareblaster installed also. And also be sure to keep each program updated regularly, or it won't do you much good. Between Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, and a good antivirus program, you should be ok. :)

wat6 does a spyblater do generally. p[lease in simple language!!11

Unfortunately, these days it seems anti-adware and anti-spyware programs are required. They used to be just irritating, but now they're getting downright harmful.

Spybot and Ad-Aware both work by comparing the files on your system to a known database of adware and/or spyware. The reason for frequent updates, as DeOnna recommended, is to keep your database up to date with all the known files. Neither of them is complete, that's why you need both. Even with both, they won't find everything, but you'll be better off then you would be without them!

SpywareBlaster is another good thing to have; it works in a different way then the other two. It takes known malware sites and adds them to the Restricted Zone of your browser, thereby keeping the nasty stuff from ever getting to your system in the first place. This also needs to be updated frequently to provide the best protection. Links to these are also in DMR's signature.

Follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Check this site for details info on how to protect youself and you machine!
Secure Your machine !!

1. Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

2. Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  3. Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

4. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  5. Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

6. Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

7. Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

8. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Thank you guys! You're terrific. I have both Spybot and Ad-Aware, as well as Norton Antivirus, Hijack, Shredder, Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster and I still have gotten bugs in my system. How do you keep those updated? I thought updates were only for paying customers. Norton found something a little while back that Adaware and Spybot didn't pick up, but Norton did not remove it. That's why I was asking about another software just in case there was something that could make up when there was a gap.

Thank you guys! You're terrific. I have both Spybot and Ad-Aware, as well as Norton Antivirus, Hijack, Shredder, Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster and I still have gotten bugs in my system. How do you keep those updated? I thought updates were only for paying customers. Norton found something a little while back that Adaware and Spybot didn't pick up, but Norton did not remove it. That's why I was asking about another software just in case there was something that could make up when there was a gap.

Except for Norton all the programs you mentioned are FREE!! To all ,not shareware ,or trials versions ,FREE.

I thought updates were only for paying customers...

For the free programs we recommend, you can definitely get (unlimited) updates, but what some of them do lack is an automatic update function such as Norton's Live Update. All that really means is that you will have to manually check for updates when you run the programs, but all of them (as far as I've seen) have a built-in option for doing so.

In terms of some of the utility programs detecting/not detecting/being able to clean/not being able to clean certain "nasties", keep in mind that each of these programs are basically optimized for specific functions. For example- Ad Aware and SpyBot are primarily spyware/adware/hijackware/etc. removal tools. They are not optimized for traditional virus removal in the way that Norton or McAfee are, nor were they ever designed to do so. On the flip-side, Norton, McAfee, etc. products have traditionally been anti-virus/trojan/etc. programs; their ability to deal with adware/spyware is relatively new. Sooo:

Norton found something a little while back that Adaware and Spybot didn't pick up, but Norton did not remove it.

If you can give us specifics as to the files/infections in question we might be able to help you out.

Given the above, the fact that the lines between all versions of generally malicious programs are blurring, and the fact that new variants of those nasties are appearing almost daily, it's impossible to expect that only one or two protective programs will keep you extirely safe.

any program that removes malware and costs money is not worth it all you need is ad-aware, spybot S&D, hijackthis, and a good firewall. That is it you could also get things like spyware blaster and such but it is not a necessary to have.

any program that removes malware and costs money is not worth it all you need is ad-aware, spybot S&D, hijackthis, and a good firewall. That is it you could also get things like spyware blaster and such but it is not a necessary to have.

All after the fact programs ,some blocker program ,IEspyAd, Spywareblaster ,spywareguard, and TrojanBlocker[not free but trial fully working for 30 days ]will make there job easier.Check the Spyware Tools link in my signature

thx caperjack and dnm. actually caperjack i have already downloaded and installed spybot search and destroyer. thx really al least 4 the time being for a moment i can feel safe on the web u never know when a virus will come to my pc!!!!

thx a lot to caperjack dnm and all u guys out there its really helping me now to really understand what do all these program actually do . Just i big and only doubt ummmm..... r u sure that i wont get a virus if i update any of my programs. just to tel u that my friend update dher windows and she got lots of viruses and on top of that her system get corrupted.. can you please clarify this . again thx in advance

r u sure that i wont get a virus if i update any of my programs...

It would be absolutely foolish to tell anyone that they'll be 100% safe if they keep all of their anti-virus and anti-spyware programs up to date.

The problem is that the wonderful people who make viruses, spyware, etc. are constantly coming up with new and "sneakier" ways to infect computers, which means that the people who make the utilities to fight the infections are usually one or two steps behind. There is always some delay between the point at which a new infection is discovered and the point at which someone can find a cure for that infection; the process is exactly like that of finding a cure for biological viruses.

yeah u r right. but its reassuring anyway tyo have at least some protection programs instead of none

Hi guys! You're terrific. When I first came into Dani Web I was really in trouble, I had so much spyware and adware in my computer it would be popping up literally every 15 seconds! I have followed all of the advice given and have installed all that was listed above, and are doing a lot better. But you see, I do a lot of internet errands for the senior members of my family who are not web-savvy (they think I am) and do some inquiries and shopping around and info searches and a lot of stuff, so I go into a lot of sites and sometimes, I walk out with barnacles. Usually, Ad-Aware finds them and deletes them. But I still have one (at least, that's what Norton Antivirus says) that neither Spybot nor Ad-Aware have recognized nor dealt with. Norton told me I have it but didn't remove it. It is called WinAdToolsX.dll and that's the reason why I was wondering if there was another software that would pick up where the others left off so that I could get rid of this thing or any others like it I might encounter. I have not been able to eliminate it at all, I even put my computer in Safe Mode and went to snoop around and couldn't see it. I do not know how to read HijcakThis logs, so I wouldn't be able to find it even it it appeared there, that's simply the reason why I asked if there was a chance with that software. AND I AM GLAD I ASKED, I don't need any more problems.
I think I have the latest version of Spybot (I got the upgrade from MajorGeeks) but I do not know how to manually upgrade Ad-Aware. I have the latest versions of SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster but it must be that I didn't know how to set them up because they have allowed spyware to be installed into my computer. There's probably something I don't know (which wouldn't be surprising, since that's why I'm here.)
Thanks again guys! ;)

Thanks for the info! I went to one of the sites suggested and finally learned how to upgrade my Spybot and Ad-Aware. And added the Inocculation adviced. Haven't run it yet, but I expect it might help with this. :D

we'll stick with the free-ware stuff...actually i've used Xosft and it's pretty kool...and always remember to use more than one anti-spyware virus...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.