Hoping you can help...

I use Windows 2000 as an OS. Not very pc literate, but I did get a copy of Norton Internet Security 2006 to use on my system. However my pc's been getting slower & slower and starting to look really ropey...a friend downloaded Avira (antivirus) and ran a scan, which suddenly started deleting a lot of viruses.

THEN Norton started saying it had a virus...looking into Symantec's instructions the file that w32.irc.bot apparently creates does NOT show in my registry. Also there's a .tmp file clearly related to this that changes name every time Norton tries to remove it in the Windows/Temp directory...I've tried scanning using most everything under the sun (including scanners listed in your 'before you post' instructions) but can't get rid of the recurring w32.irc.bot virus. Not to mention the 3 or so others that appear to repeat.

I'm attaching my 'hijack this' log file. I don't know what to do and will upgrade my operating system (and reassess my security), but I really would like to get this sorted first. As Norton's pretty annoying (it asks me everything about everything connecting to the net including processes I plainly don't have a clue about), I have no idea why I've managed to get myself into this situation...please help.

P
:o)

PS: Should also add that the trojans being listed are w32.irc.bot, w32.vundo, Crypt.CFI.Gen (filename may be different as these mentioned by Avira), TR/Dropper.Gen, and TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen. I'm pretty freaked about this right now...I just wanna know what to do to remove these and avoid this ever happening again!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

remove norton using norton removal tool. disable the avira using msconfig. download and run malwarebytes' antimalware program.

OK,

1. - Remove Norton
2. - Disable Avira - Not sure that Windows 2000 has msconfig.... if not, just remove it!
3. - Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, run a scan and post the log...

Once the scan has been done in Malware Bytes.... hit show results... and hit remove all... then post the log along with a fresh hijackthis log :)

Thankyou

yeah windows 2000 does have it

Hello All,

I've done as I was told:)

See attached HijackThis log file.

Hello All,

I've done as I was told:)

See attached HijackThis log file.

Thanks, with my training i can't see anything wrong...

but just a tip... next time posting a log... pls post it in a reply... not as an attachment.

yes, but use CODE tags

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.