Sorry Rueful Rogue!
I have a Intel.PIII 700Mghz Windows 98Se.I ran Ace Utilities and a Load Power Profile(pcttptt.exe)and an invalid Netdaemon(c:/win32)keep loadin up in the startup manager.Are these two trojans/spyware?I can disable em,but can they be uninstalled without pc conflict?
Thanks for the help people :cheesy:

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

netdaemon.exe is probably a nasty. Locate the file in Windows Explorer, right-click on it, and choose "Properties". Is there any company name/version information listed anywhere in the Properties tabs?

I'm not sure about "pcttptt.exe"; did you spell that filename correctly? pctptt.exe (note the single "T") is a legit file related to PCTel modems, but I find no info for the exact filename you gave.

If you suspect malicious infections, have a read through the threads in our Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties forum for info on free utilities you can use to check for infections. If you do determine that viruses, spyware, etc. are the issue and would like help getting rid of them, please start a thread in that forum.

DMR:I spelt the pctptt.exe wrong,so I guess this one is legit.As for the netdaemon,I did as you said n saw no reference whatsover to it.My Ace Utilities said it added itself again to the startup on reboot,and it shows twice now in Ace's log file.A nasty eh?
Btw,I have Spybot/Adaware/Avg/Zone A/Eraser installed n updated faithfully.
Whomever you are,yer awesome for helpin my @$$ out man!

DMR:I spelt the pctptt.exe wrong,so I guess this one is legit.

OK- that's what I thought. Let's assume that one is legit at least for now.

As for the netdaemon,I did as you said n saw no reference whatsover to it... A nasty eh?

Yes, sounds quite possible. I'm moving this thread to our "Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties" forum, because I think that's the direction in which we might be headed here.

Please do the following so that we can get a "snapshot" of possible problem areas on your computer:

2. Download HijackThis:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

Once downloaded, follow these instructions to install and run the program:

Create a new separate folder on your drive for HijackThis, move the program into thids folder, and run it from there. (Don't run HJT from within any Temp or Temporary Internet folder, and don't run it directly from your desktop.) Do not have HJT fix anything yet, only have it scan your system! Once the scan is complete, the "Scan" button will turn into an option to "Save log...". Save the log in the folder you created for HiajckThis, open the log in Windows Notepad, and cut-n-paste the entire contents of the log here. The log contents will tell us a lot about what "nasties" have crept into your system, and once we analyse the log we can tell you what to do from there.

Do the above, and we'll take it from there. :)

Whomever you are,yer awesome for helpin my @$$ out man!

Oh, right- as far that that part goes: those of us who work here are just computer geeks who have no real life, so we volunteer all of our free time helping other people fix their problems. :mrgreen:

Hey again DMR! I'll perform these actions within the next few days as I have to do the conformist family christmas thing right now,so I'm just checkin here ta see the help yer givin me.
N as for you ppl bein pc geeks,hell there's nothin wrong with that.Ppl are all the same n it doesn't matter if yer considered a geek,jock,goth,hophead etc.as long as yer good in heart man, it's all right in my books.You should see the how I get judged be it with my long hair n my hippy dress and views!
So,thanks again n I'll be back! Peace N M. CHristmas!

Hey again DMR! I'll perform these actions within the next few days

Cool- post a HijackThis log when you get the time; as I said, it will give us a good idea of what you've got crawling around in your 'puter.

as I have to do the conformist family christmas thing right now

[img]http://www.stevewolfonline.com/Downloads/DMR/Visuals/puke2.gif[/img] Need we say more?

as for you ppl bein pc geeks,hell there's nothin wrong with that... You should see the how I get judged be it with my long hair n my hippy dress and views!

lol. I was only joking about the geek part- I'm really a patchouli-wearing, acoustic guitar playing old hippie who just happens to love computers. :mrgreen:

Hey u 2. I have the exact same problem. Ill wait till u know what it is. Looks like something really new/recent as ur post is from 23.12. I'm gonna keep watching this post, mabe ich millhouse wont do the Hijak thing ill do that ans post the log file.
greetz opteryx

Well I'm back.I installed Hijack 3 separate times n it won't open.Maybe due to removin most instances of IE with "IE Eradicator".So maybe Opteryx could follow DMR's suggestions and post the results here.If all else fails,I'm more than willing to stick my nose into the registry and remove it manually if possible.I just don't know what to look for since I checked already.
Once again,thanks Yodas' n I'll be back in a day er three.
Happy New Years n don't kill too many brain cells! Millie

Well,I removed netdaemon.exe for anyone who's listenin er cares with a program called "Advanced Administrative Tools".It's located at Glocksoft.com.Click on the AAT to download a evaluation copy.It's easy to understand.
I also went to my "Start",Find and typed in netdaemon.exe where I right clicked to remove.Hopefully this'll help those that have this crap problem.
Once again thanks DMR for the support. Millhouse

You're welcome. Glad you were able to get it sorted, and thanks for posting back to tell us how you finally resolved the issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.