I'm having the same problem as everyone else and it doesn't look like there have been any solutions yet. I'm getting this message when I try to boot my Dell.

"lsass.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0X0041082 referenced memory at 0X00000000. The memory could not be 'written.'

I cannot boot from any of the F2 options and I have done a Diagnostic test and everything passed. I cannot access the web to download any applications that may fix this virsu, so what should I do?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

Can you pls do the following: - Download the files on another PC:

1. - Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

2. - Download hijackthis and post the log.

Note: - As you have no internet access on the computer, you will be unable to update MBA-M, so can you pls run it as it is.....

In your reply, post the logs (in this order):
1. - Malware Bytes Log
2. - Hijackthis Log

Also, let us know if you can access the internet after running MBA-M.

Thanks,

Cohen

I'm having the same problem as everyone else and it doesn't look like there have been any solutions yet. I'm getting this message when I try to boot my Dell.

The instruction at 0X0041082 referenced memory at 0X00000000. The memory could not be 'written.'

I cannot boot from any of the F2 options and I have done a Diagnostic test and everything passed. I cannot access the web to download any applications that may fix this virsu, so what should I do?

I'm not sure that I understand these instructions. Are you saying to download to another computer. How does that solve the problem on the computer with the problem?

Should we contact Dell

I'm not sure that I understand these instructions. Are you saying to download to another computer. How does that solve the problem on the computer with the problem?

Should we contact Dell

Yes download them on another computer, and transfer them over via USB and run them on the problem computer.

Dell, no doubt, will help you no way, but they would say we need to get someone out...

Cohen

Hi all,

I too have had the same problem, or a very similar problem, which suddenly started yesterday morning when I shut down and then restarted my computer (Acer TravelMate 290 running XP SP3).

As soon as I started the computer I got the following message:

The instruction at 0X00000000 referenced memory at 0X00000000. The memory could not be 'written.'

I clicked OK and almost immediately got a 60 second shut down dialog. This was even before I'd started to log-in.

Luckily, I had another computer available, which allowed me to start searching for a solution to the problem. Everything I found seemed to point to a Sasser virus infection. I found this rather hard to believe because I'm running the latest updated version of BitDefender Internet Security 2009 and automatically receive all the Windows XP updates from Microsoft. I really couldn't understand how my PC could have been infected by such a well known but dated virus!

I wasted most of yesterday trying to track down the problem and to discover if it really was a virus infection.

In fact it seems to have been the automatic installation of the Windows Security Update for Internet Explorer (960714) that was causing all my problems.

I won't even try to describe all things I did to try to remove a non-existent Sasser infection but it took me many hours of frustration!!!

Anyway, the solution I discovered was to boot the PC and quickly login, ignoring the "lsass.exe - Application Error" when it appeared (or any others because I had several others such as svchost.exe). What was certain is that it's very important NEVER to click the OK button of the error dialog, which immediately causes the Shutdown dialog and many other error dialogs.

Once I eventually managed to log-in I killed the shutdown process with: Start > Run > shutdown -a

I then did a system restore using the Restore Point handily provided by the Windows Update entitled "Software Distribution Service 3.0". Luckily the automatic update had been carried out at 03:00 and almost the first thing I did before starting any work was to shut down my PC so I didn't actually loose any data. Nevertheless I did waste many hours trying to figure out what was wrong and how to fix it.

I'm sorry it's not a very scientific solution but it worked for me. Maybe others who are having similar problems ought to have a look to see it their system has been recently updated with the same Windows update.

Regards,

Nick
Barcelona, Spain

Nick (tadpole) - Thanks for the advice, it might work for the person infected. Could i pls ask you to create your own thread with a Hijackthis log. i would just like to make sure that your PC is definantly clean, and there are no other problems within your PC.

Thanks,

Cohen

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.