Hi to my Family at DanniWeb !!
I have a Compaq Pesario SR5610F, Vista home, 320GB hard drive, AMD Athlon X2 4800 Dual-core processor.
It had a trogan or 2 on it and a friend tried to load Avast on it because Norton ran out. Now, all it does is shows the BIOS self test, and then goes to a solid black screen when it tries to go into Windows......thats it.
I can get into the BIOS and thats all.
ANy and all help will be very much appreciated in getting this computer to boot into Windows.
Thank you !
Oh, the screen saver comes on when I let the computer stay on with the black screen up for a while.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Sounds like you need to reload windows, can you boot to safe mode with F8

Can't boot to Safe mode. I can only get into the BIOS.
Thanks for your reply.

Update:
I can get into the SAFE MODE page.
Here are my choices on that page:
repair your computer
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with comand prompt
enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video(640X480)
Last known good configuaration(advanced)
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart on system failure
disable driver signature enforcement
start windows normally
I am leaving this page pulled up with the computer running till I hear from someone there to help me work through this.
Thanks

Try safe mode with networking. This will load minimal items but enough to get it online. See if Norton is still installed on there, if it is UNINSTALL it. Then try installing Avast, update it and run a scan with it. Let it remove what it finds. IF you are able to accomplish that then download Malwarbytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to the desktop. Install and update it.
THEN attempt to boot to normal mode. MBA-M is not designed to run in Safe Mode.
If you are able to boot to normal mode then run a Full System scan with MBA-M. Have it REMOVE all that is found. Save the log.
Then download HiJackThis and run a Full System scan with it. Save the log and post back with both logs...GOOD LUCK

Here are the ones I tried to get into:
repair your computer
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with comand prompt
enable low-resolution video(640X480)
Last known good configuaration(advanced)
debugging mode
start windows normally
-
I get the same results on all of them. It shows the Compact screen, then a small bar with a green illuminated green bar, going from left to right. It says Microsoft Corporation under it. Then the screen goes black, the currsur shows up and thats it.....black screen. I have tried 2 different screens, one crt and one LCD. I have went into BIOS and set defaults.
I get the same results. I get no beeps, just end up with a black screen with the currsor in it.
Any more idea's ?

I hit F11, to go into the recovery mode, and that didn't even work. I got the same results.....black screen, with a currsor on it. After a while, the screen saver comes on.

Since the monitor shows the screen saver and the BIOS pages, it wouldn't be a monitor issue, right ???

No, I don't believe that it would. Do you have recovery disks?

I have to go into work early today, but I will look when I get home tonite for the disks.. Thanks for working with me !

I came across 2 "recovery" dvd's that were made after the computer was first brought home and 12 cd's that were back ups. I hope I can make a "repair" and not have to wipe out the hard drive. What do you think ?

Worth a try, you really have nothing to lose if you cannot use the computer anyway.

Worth a try, you really have nothing to lose if you cannot use the computer anyway.

I was able to recover the sysytem by using the dvd disc. All is well now. Thank you all for your input and thanks again to Daniweb for being here for us !!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.