Ok this happened twice already, is it just a false alarm from AVG that it detects a virus from pop ups or things from torrent sites? I'm planning to do a factory clean up and I put all my files into one folder, I'm going to burn them, will the disk I burn be infected also? I remember the virus was located in program files and somewhere in mozilla folder... so will these disk be infected? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Copy your files to a folder and scan the folder for viruses and malware. Nice free program to use for malware is Malwarebytes (do a search for it) it is slow but does a great job. You should be fine. I personally stay away from torrent sites just for that reason you just mention.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M)
download, install and update.
Single file scanning is not slow. Right Click that file and choose Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
One should never save or transfer files until you are certain they are clean. If they are infected then yes, the infections quite possibly transfer to the meda you are using to save them on...cds, dvd, floppy disk, flash drive...another computer or hard drive. Doesn't matter.
You have a suspicion there is infection on the computer, you need to get it clean before doing and file transfer or saving. Any anti-virus program can have false positives, BUT...something in those pop ups don't look right to AVG, I take that as a good warning additional cleaning should be done.
MBA-M is pretty much top of the line right now for scanning and removal of infections. Quick scan is just that, quick, doesn't scan all the files on a computer but does scan key ones, should take a few minutes.
Full scan is longer depending on the size of the hard drive and how many drives you choose to scan. Can take up to an hour or a bit more, again depending on the size of drives you are scanning. But it scans each and every file.

I downloaded it and updated it and then I also did a system scan, it didn't find anything...do you think it was just a false alarm?

Just to be safe I would recommend that you also do an online scan with ESET Online Scanner.
* You will need to use Internet Explorer to to complete this scan.
* You will need to temporarily Disable your current Anti-virus program.
* Be sure the option to Remove found threats is
checked and the option to Scan unwanted applications is Checked.
* When you have completed that scan, a scanlog ought to have been created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. If items ARE found then post that log for us here.

Reboot the computer
Next please do the following right click on the desktop and choose New, Folder. Then Name this folder HJT: Download
HiJackThis to the new folder you created on the desktop.
Open the folder and double click the HiJackThis Icon to open the program
Run a full system scan and save the log and post it please.

There was probably a malicious seeming script in a pop-up or other such thing that was saved into a temporary internet cache. If AVG caught it, then it most likely wasn't executed, and has probably already been deleted from the temp folder. I wouldn't get too worried, but if you are do what jholland said.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.