Trend PCcillin has identified spyware/adware SPYW_NETZANY.100 on my desktop, which runs XP with IE6. (Lavasoft Ad Aware and Microsoft's antispyware beta do not detect it.)

But after I remove the file with PCcillin, Internet Explorer either refuses to open at all, or gives me the message that it has 'encountered a problem and needs to close'. I recover through System Restore, which restores IE functions but only in company with the NETZANY file. The spyware gives no tangible performance problems, but I'm not happy having it live on my pc.

Any suggestions?

Download HijackThis selfextracting zip version from here. Once downloaded, double click on the file & it will install into it's own, permanent folder.
Start HJT & press the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. When the scan is finished a window will pop up giving you the option of where to save it. Save it to desktop where it is easy to access. Open the log file and copy the entire contents of the file & paste it into the body of your post. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET. Most of what is there is necessary for the running of your system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.