HI all,

i tried this motheod of booting to safe mode:

"Another way to get into Safe Mode is to go to Start, Run, type in msconfig, and then click OK. When the System Configuration Utility window comes up, click the BOOT.INI tab, select SAFEBOOT, and then OK. You will be asked to reboot, and when you do, your system will come up in Safe Mode. When you're finished in Safe Mode, go back to msconfig and remove the checkmark from SAFEBOOT.
"

but now the computer wont even boot... i will only go up untill choosing what type of safe mode it should start

- safe mode
- safe mode with networking
- safe mode with prompt
- last known good config
- start normally.

i've tried all four setting and even let it be and all it does is restarting itself all the time.

Please help... Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Please help... Thanks

I am sorry to say that you have been given bad advice . . . I hope it wasn't in this forum.

It is not recommended to force Safe Mode via msconfig as you have here. Some malware wipes the safeboot key in the registry. Then, when you use msconfig to boot to Safe Mode, it modifies boot.ini so that you get caught in a reboot loop, as you are now.

If you have your Windows disc, you can use recovery console to repair boot.ini.
Or, you could try a "non-destructive" recovery via recovery partition if that is available to you.

I suggest that you ask whoever told you to boot to safe mode via msconfig to help you fix the mess they got you into....

Best Luck :)
PP

hi,

i got the method from "Read Me: PC Cleaning Procedures & Detection Tools"....

hi,

i got the method from "Read Me: PC Cleaning Procedures & Detection Tools"....

Have to note something here. There is a WHOLE lot more going on here than you trying to force a Safe Boot using msconfig. I am referring back to your Original Thread concerning these problems which was begun about 21 days ago. Discounting the fact that it was "semi-hijacked" by some ridiculous suggestions by another poster, you yourself didn't follow through in a timely manner, which I noted 6 days ago

Honestly, trying to work on this problem with a week in between each request is virtually impossible...UNLESS...you have NOT been using the infected computer in between. Have you been using it since my last request one week ago?
Just using the computer for normal activities while it still has unresolved problems can certainly compromise everything all ready done, especially if those problems are the result of an infection.
Are you using this infected computer daily or are you using a different computer for your daily computing?

to which you didn't respond to until your post #21 in that thread yesterday. And you DIDN'T answer my question either...was the computer being used all this time?...which is approximately 3 weeks now since the original thread was begun.

PP=I suggest that you ask whoever told you to boot to safe mode via msconfig to help you fix the mess they got you into....

Going back to that original thread, No where in that thread did Rik, or Crunchie or I tell you to boot to safe mode at all, much less use msconfig to do so. The only place that msconfig was mentioned was to see how many items were listed in the msconfig start up list, not do anything with it, just LOOK at it and then use HJT to generate a Full Start Up list, which was 13 days ago. Six days later you replied with the list which then resulted in my response quoted above.

WHO did tell you to boot to safe mode?
Why did you use the 2nd method of Safe Booting from the "Read Me: PC Cleaning Procedures & Detection Tools" when the 1st method noted is to use the F8 key?

commented: For saying what needs to be said! :) +36

WHO did tell you to boot to safe mode?
Why did you use the 2nd method of Safe Booting from the "Read Me: PC Cleaning Procedures & Detection Tools" when the 1st method noted is to use the F8 key?

The first method probably did not work.

With all due respect, Judy, that sticky post needs to be removed or edited. Stickies are there to be read and followed.

I do agree, though, that there was absolutely no follow-through in a timely manner by the OP and that probably could have avoided this mess....

@emmasyah - Do you have your Windows Disk?
If not, you'll need to download this Recovery Console ISO and burn it to CD.

Let us know.

PP:)

With all due respect, Judy, that sticky post needs to be removed or edited. Stickies are there to be read and followed.

Ok, I agree all of them are out of date and many of the links in them no longer work.

Frustration I guess on my part for three weeks of wasted effort on my part.
I will now bow out.

Ok, I agree all of them are out of date and many of the links in them no longer work.

Frustration I guess on my part for three weeks of wasted effort on my part.
I will now bow out.

Hey - we've all been there, right? Most security forums would have locked that thread after 3 days of inactivity.....

With any luck we'll be able to address some of the Read Me issues.

PP :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.