plz refer to following thread........( i wonder why such threads are closed????)

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

"If you're on Dial-up Internet, a 'Firewall' such as 'ZoneAlarm' is highly advisable. If you are considering, or are already connected to, Broadband Internet then Firwewall protection is a 'must'."

can u plz say why u think that for people on broadband it is "must" and for dial up its "highly advisable" as i am almost about to get broadband connection in a week?????

"The most recent version of Spybot should be installed with its 'Immunise' function enabled, for your future protection."

what is immunise function and what it does?????

CAN anyone say why poeple use HIJACKTHIS program????? (should i use it also???

"If the tools you are using don't seem to be having an effect, you canb also try booting into 'Safe Mode' (by pressing <F8> before you get to the Windows 'Logo' screen at startup) and try running the tools from there. Reboot afterwards and see if they've been successful."

why should the tools work in safe mood and not in normal mode and why is there a safe mode at all?????

" try sysclean from trend micro"

is it antivirus tool or what it does?????

i would really appreciate if anyone can reply to my queries...thanks tonnes people...i have started falling in love with this forum :p

regards

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll tell you what I can :)

plz refer to following thread........( i wonder why such threads are closed????)

Threads such as that one are closed because they are of an informative nature and not intended for asking questions or posting replies.

can u plz say why u think that for people on broadband it is "must" and for dial up its "highly advisable" as i am almost about to get broadband connection in a week?????

There are a couple of reasons for this (that I know of, maybe more). For one, you are always connected to the internet with broadband, even if you're browser is closed, unlike dial-up where you're only connected when actually dial-up your ISP and connect. Also, with broadband, you have a static IP address, whereas with dial-up, your IP address will be different everytime you log on. Having the same IP address, and being always connected, makes it easier for crackers (http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread16365.html) to attack your system.

what is immunise function and what it does?????

I believe Spybot's Immunize feature will protect your system from certain known spyware intruders. I don't know how it works though.

CAN anyone say why poeple use HIJACKTHIS program????? (should i use it also???

HijackThis is used to help find, and fix, certain problems; you shouldn't need it unless a problem arises. Since it is updated so often, and you should always use the latest version, it's best to get it when (if) you need it. However, you might want to get it now, do a scan, and save the log. This will show you what is running on your system and you can compare it later if a problem does arise. This is know as 'getting to know your system,' which is the first step in protecting it and keeping it running properly.

why should the tools work in safe mood and not in normal mode and why is there a safe mode at all?????

When in Safe Mode, only the basic, minimal processes are running; some tools will work better with fewer conflicts. For example, while in normal mode, defrag is sometimes interrupted frequently by a screensaver or something and keeps restarting; in Safe Mode, this doesn't occur. Sometimes you need to delete a malacious entry, but you can't because it's 'in use.' By booting into Safe Mode, the process is usually stopped and, therefore, can be deleted. The reason for having a Safe Mode is basically a way to troubleshoot and correct problems. Usually if your system won't even boot up, you can still start it in Safe Mode (because only the basic processes are running) and figure out what the problem is.

is it antivirus tool or what it does?????

Quote from TrendMicro:
Sysclean "is a stand-alone fix package that incorporates the Damage Cleanup Engine and Template. It replaces the traditional fix tool by addressing a wide variety of system infections rather than a specific malware infection."
That's about all I know regarding this one.

Hope this helps some :)

sunandoghosh, do you realise that if you load www.google.com and type in what is safe mode windows you will get heaps of information?

This link will show you

Same goes for a lot of the other questions you are asking. It's expecting a fair bit of people here to answer all of these questions you're asking. You should really do a bit of research for yourself first, and then get assistance here with the bits you have difficulty understanding.

Here's another google search you could have used

spybot immunize

I do appreciate ur point and definitely will keep that in mind henceforth...also one thing...at times i have seen that replies to questions here are so practical and direct and simple that i understand it easily whereas i find it too tough to understand on websites....

also here apart from replies; it is mixed with practical wisdom and inner meanings which plain reading of a paragraph from a website can never come out to a newbie like me...

but still yes i appreciate ur point...thanks

Thanks, on behalf of all of the regulars here, for those comments. They make the time spent worthwhile ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.