I have Windows XP, with SP2 installed on my computer, and I think it has a virus on it, because it constantly crashes, can't detect a firewall, and recently, my Norton Antivirus was disabled and requires reinstall. Now, when I try to boot it, a majority of the time it restarts while loading XP. Occasionally, it gets through to a user nameless welcome screen, to which I control alt del into windows, only to have it crash within 2 minutes. I have no problem wiping my computer clean to scratch, but I have no startup disc, and I didn't receive one with my computer.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have Windows XP, with SP2 installed on my computer, and I think it has a virus on it, because it constantly crashes, can't detect a firewall, and recently, my Norton Antivirus was disabled and requires reinstall. Now, when I try to boot it, a majority of the time it restarts while loading XP. Occasionally, it gets through to a user nameless welcome screen, to which I control alt del into windows, only to have it crash within 2 minutes. I have no problem wiping my computer clean to scratch, but I have no startup disc, and I didn't receive one with my computer.

can you access safe mode? u can do this by pressing f8 on your pcs startup/boot process. by accessing safe mode any device drivers will be deactivated. from here go into control panel, performance and maintenance, administrative tools. look for anything flagged with warning or error in all logs.;)

were u using norton internet security. once one thing is disabled thats it.. it all is. i think someone could have remotely accessed your pc. take it off of any network connections before attempting any of the maintenance suggested here. then reinstall norton and ensure that you do a complete virus scan.

Hi Lee, welcome to DaniWeb :D

Your computer may have an image installed on a hidden partition; look through the literature that came with it or contact the dealer you purchased it from for instructions on how to access and use it.

Go through the 'pinned' topics at the beginning of this forum for suggestions on protecting and cleaning your computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.