I've got an HP desktop that is infected by a virus. I took it to the shop to see if it could be fixed, but the worker said twas not worth fixing since its so old. Thus I bought a new one. But since I showed some knowledge in computers... they gave it back to me so I could work on it as a learning project. The only prob is, I don't know how to go about fixing it.
This is what it does: I start it up and everything loads correctly, but after it brings the desktop up... it restarts itself. Thus continuing the process of bringing up the desktop and restarting again.
Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? It would be much appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Very likely it is a problem with the loading of one driver. You could try Last Known Good Configuration [get into the Windows advanced Setup menu using F8 during POST]. If that soes not work then try to start in safe mode. If it starts there, then compare the boot log [an option in adv setup] from your failed start to the safe mode start - you may be able to identify the problem driver. Other than that you can try system resore [ an option given during loading of win Adv. Setup]

one other thing... if u can start it in safe mode with networking dl hijackthis n post a log. Someone will peruse it.
HiJackThis
===download hijackthis: http://216.180.233.162/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
-install it to a new folder alongside your program files and then rename the Hijackthis.exe to imabunny.exe.
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe; now close ALL other applications and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-Click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

That's cool. I'll try it. But when I work on this I'm not going to hook it up to the internet until I am able to scan the comp first. To remove the virus of course.
Much thanks anyway. I'll keep the post updated as to different goings on (whether this works or not... and what it does if not).

k. well, you could dl that file to a floppy n copy it in during safe mode. If you don't show us what you've got, not much we can do to help. Some of the best AV scans are online also. Don't be afraid of giving Panda a virus, or copping one from them. If you think you have one then it is hard to beat going online to their site only, and doing their online scan. [you'd have windows firewall on, of course, as a bare minimum, a better one would halt outgoing gear, such as Zonealarm.]
==Try an online scan at panda:- http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan?
-select a link to the scan... free online virus scan...., enter a valid? email and follow through, choosing My Computer for a full system scan.
Post the log it produces here.

Oh I'm sorry, didn't think that twas needed for you to know what I have. I've backed AVG up onto a disk and when I get the desktop started right I'll pop the disc in copy it onto the desktop and scan the comp through there.
side note: Floppy disks are outdated.

or you could always use it as a hobby machine for linux (web development box maybe?)

*shrugs* Though it is old, after removing the virus and cleaning all unneccasary programs off, I was thinking about giving it to one of my best friends. Since her computer is EXTREMELY old (was formated to run Windows 95 and she somehow got it to run Windows 98).

floppy drives.... my current sys.. when i got it built i said no floppy, please. But the builders said we put one in anyway cos we had them, no charge to you. Floppies are never gonna die..... whatever happened to rubbish bins for junk?

yes, xp requires floppy to install on some machones

Hm. That's interesting. I seriously thought that floppies were dead. I guess not.
And as far as rubbish bins go... are you talking about the name or the idea? We still use them in the U.S. but we call them trash cans.

i meant the stock of floppies - instead of tossing them they put them in your build at no charge. Unless you specify one, i guess.... But it is there, and I use it occasionally... jb is right too, loading raid drivers is simpler with a floppy drive on board.

yes, on xp you cant load raid/sata drivers off of anything apart from a floppy (unless you slipstream them onto a custom xp cd like the big manufactures do)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.