hey guys!

my computer is 'acting up' so much that i wasn't even able to get this far on my own computer (i'm on a roommate's computer at the moment).

basically, my problem is that, when i log into windows, two IE windows automatically open up, and from then on, a third window will constantly appear then disappear, giving an overall effect of a flashing screen. the process that reappears everytime a new IE window opens up is "kind bird.exe" along with "iexplorer.exe". i don't know what to do about this! it's really annoying.

i ran panda antivirus, and it didn't find anything. i ran ad-aware a number of times, but each time, it finds a browser hijacker, i get rid of it, and it reappears on startup (it's part of the restore registry file).

i realize my computer has a lot of problems, but the main one right now is the IE windows constantly opening.

Any help, even something that will fix this problem temporarily, will be of great help! i plan on reformatting my computer soon, but i need to be able to access it for this week. =/

thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

download hijackthis from softpedia.com and post the log here. make sure you save it to your HD and close all your browser windows before scanning. Also scan with ad-aware, spybot S&D, and your ant-virus software before scanning with hijackthis. Even if one of the first scans fixes the problem you should probably still post your log because some ppl might spot things that could help out your comp.

I understand what is probably happening. Currently I'm faced with a similar problem.

I have tried HijackThis as well as TrendMicro's Home Scan (which led me to this information)

What occurs is that you probably have been infected with a trojan program. (for me they are Trojan.Vurndo and Trojan.ByteFire) Unfortunately these files have infected the efeef.dll which is undeletable. I have not been able so far to be able to 'clean' these files.

It is good to note that many of the adware/malware/spyware programs have been unable to even detect these two programs even though IE continues to open.

Symantic keeps popping up with noticifcations and Windows Defender and Adware SE report that 'system is free of spyware/adware/and malware - when I know damn well its not. So I would highly recommed using TrendMicro's Home Scan to find out the specific issue facing your computer. It probably won't be able to remove many of the issues, but it can inform you to their specifics.

You'll have to use you're increadly ill computer. To insure that you can get there you should use an alternative browser, Mozella's Firefox is good. Also in XP use a different user but make sure its admin otherwise you won't be able to use the scan. What appears to occur is that it infects a certain 'user' and then slowly spreads the more the others."

You should have it run overnight because the scan + the trojan will just take forever.

From there you will probably find it has infected nescessary system files...sticky. I would highly consider repartioning the infected hardrive and reinstalling windows XP. Or if you are advanced feel free to try and replace the "infected" dlls, although you'll have to accquire them from a separete computer and still worry about the other infected files of the trojan reposesing you new dll.

Good luck to you:cool:

same on my system. i didn't get closer to the problem than to this hijack analysis....
but how to go from here? any tool you know? - thanks:icon_wink:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 04:15:02, on 15.09.2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netdde.exe
C:\Programme\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Programme\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\Programme\FRITZ!DSL\IGDCTRL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Programme\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Programme\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Programme\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
C:\Programme\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Programme\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\Programme\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Programme\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Programme\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Programme\NetWaiting\netwaiting.exe
C:\Programme\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Programme\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe
C:\Programme\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Programme\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Programme\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
C:\Programme\FRITZ!DSL\FwebProt.exe
C:\Programme\FRITZ!DSL\StCenter.exe
C:\Programme\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\soffice.exe
C:\Programme\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\soffice.BIN
C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe
C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\blaccat\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.videoediting.ru/ib/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=de&l=de&s=gen
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=de&l=de&s=gen
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = anastasia
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Programme\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Programme\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Programme\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShowLOMControl]
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Programme\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Programme\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [H2O] C:\Programme\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlcdmon.exe] "C:\Programme\Dell Photo AIO Printer 944\dlcdmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MemoryCardManager] "C:\Programme\Dell Photo AIO Printer 944\memcard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Programme\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Programme\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\PSDrvCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Programme\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MATH DOES FIRST MODE] C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten\live 64 math does\Internet Two.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLCDCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLCDtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ModemOnHold] C:\Programme\NetWaiting\netwaiting.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Programme\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTSyncU.exe] "C:\Programme\Creative\Sync Manager Unicode\CTSyncU.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Realroam] C:\DOKUME~1\blaccat\ANWEND~1\CHINPR~1\MailOne.exe
O4 - Startup: FRITZ!DSL Protect.lnk = C:\Programme\FRITZ!DSL\FwebProt.exe
O4 - Startup: FRITZ!DSL Startcenter.lnk = C:\Programme\FRITZ!DSL\StCenter.exe
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.0.lnk = C:\Programme\OpenOffice.org 2.0\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Programme\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Ulead Kalendar Checker 4.0 SE.lnk = C:\Programme\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Programme\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Konsole - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Programme\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Programme\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Programme\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\programme\fritz!dsl\sarah.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1157742663984
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O21 - SSODL: bonspells - {11853d5f-f894-4cc7-bbc3-fc7a9dcfd896} - (no file)
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Planer (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Programme\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Programme\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: AVM IGD CTRL Service - AVM Berlin - C:\Programme\FRITZ!DSL\IGDCTRL.EXE
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: AVM FRITZ!web Routing Service (de_serv) - AVM Berlin - C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\AVM\de_serv.exe
O23 - Service: dlcd_device - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcdcoms.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Programme\Dell\NICCONFIGSVC\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Programme\Spyware Doctor\svcntaux.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Programme\Spyware Doctor\swdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Programme\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.