Hi
I am an ex C++ programmer and still have Win98 I have been having a problem for about a year with what I suspect maybe spyware. This file usually appears in the root drive and also sometimes in the windows directory. If I do not detect the file right away then it appears on my desktop. the file is a dos based file and has the file name ~. I took a few code snipplets out of the file and did a search in google on them and it seems that they may be from a foreign Country. It seems like it is keeping a record of all my emails. Attached in a word document is the code for the file. I have tried several spyware/virus programs but they do not pickup on it. Thanks for your help. Dan

I'm sorry, Dan, but I for one just do not have the time to scan a file like that. And Windows 98 is way before my time......
Dan, grab these:
Unlocker 1.8.5
==This one is a general purpose deleter, Unlocker 1.8.5: http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/
Dclick the exe to install it, unchecking the updater and assistant boxes. It runs from the rclick context menu, and that is cool.
CCleaner:
==Get CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ - and put it in a new folder. You should aim to keep this one for general use. I set it from the installation checkboxes to only open from the recycle bin. It's neater that way.
Now run CCleaner from the recycle bin rclick menu using its default settings [if you set up CCleaner as i suggested, rclicking the bin icon should give you the Open CCleaner option...]. Select the Cleaner icon, press Run Cleaner.
[For future quick temp file cleaning select the options you wish to use via the Windows and Applications tabs .. Note that CCleaner is also a free registry cleaner. Explore all its options, but skip the prefetch folder cleaning option. That one is unnecessary because windows automatically dumps old unused entries anyway, they can do no harm, and further, if there is no prefetch entry for an app you wish to load then your sys will just be a lil bit slower loading it. And an entry will then be generated anyway.]

Find that file and delete it, run CCleaner, immed check your TEMP and Temp Inet Files for any new entries, delete them...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.