Help! I'm new here and am begging for help. Just to let you know I've read the "read this before posting" posts. I cannot run HJT, AVG or any other possible fix that I need to put on the computer. This all started with a few minor peeves. My search function no longer worked at first. I though - oh, well, no big deal. I'll reload eventually. Then my MySpace page got hacked and I was ticked off but after all - it was only MySpace. Now, however, I'm REALLY upset. Every link on my desktop is opened by Notepad. Every executable is opened by Notepad. Every fix, registry edit, antivirus, antispyware, etc., etc., etc. is opened by Notepad. I cannot do a "last know good configuration" because it opens with Notepad. I downloaded fixes that I thought might help but they (you guessed it) open with Notepad. I am totally frustrated -- can anyone out here help me?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Please let us know what type of computer you have and also what anti-virus program you’ve used. Personally, if a PC is infected, I do recommend using more than one antiviris program to help you. My personal recommendation for cleanup softwares are : Adware SE, ACE, Avast, AVG, Mcafee, ParetoLogic XoftSpySE, PREVX and spyware be-gone. Also, I do recommend that you clean/restore your registry files…if these are corrupted, your PC will slow down. The software to help you with your registry: RegCure and Regpair. Some of the above mentioned programs can be downloaded at www.cnet.com. Please use these utilities and let’s know the outcome. Also, you said that NOTEPAD is what opens when you try to run a program....right click on any of the programs and see if it states there that is opens with norepad. Thanks.

I'll get back to you with the specs on my pc but it's an HP/Compaq small form factor. I can't run anything whether it had already been on my computer or whether it's something I've dl to try to fix the pc. Everything opens with Notepad. I can't run any AV. I have Norton Corporate installed. I dl AVG but can't run it for the obvious reasons. I have Adaware. I cannot run any reg fixes, etc. After a right-click, the first line states "Open with Notepad" but gives me no other way to choose anything else like it should normally.

I can't run anything to get you the exact specs on my computer. I tried to go to Control Panel - System but that also opens with Notepad. It's a P4 2.8G with 512 ram and a 120g HD (if I remember correctly). That's what I mean by the computer being rendered useless. There's nothing I can do. I'm running Firefox which is ok and also Incredimail seems to work - strange - but that's all that is working.

Please let us know what type of computer you have and also what anti-virus program you’ve used. Personally, if a PC is infected, I do recommend using more than one antiviris program to help you. My personal recommendation for cleanup softwares are : Adware SE, ACE, Avast, AVG, Mcafee, ParetoLogic XoftSpySE, PREVX and spyware be-gone. Also, I do recommend that you clean/restore your registry files…if these are corrupted, your PC will slow down. The software to help you with your registry: RegCure and Regpair. Some of the above mentioned programs can be downloaded at www.cnet.com. Please use these utilities and let’s know the outcome. Also, you said that NOTEPAD is what opens when you try to run a program....right click on any of the programs and see if it states there that is opens with norepad. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.