I am new to kernel recompilation and building kernels..

Can anyone explain difference between the kernel types smp, non-smp, huge, generic.. How can we identify the type of kernel.. How they are categorize? I am using below kernels and recompiled and loading externel modules also.. but it wasnt successful..

kernel-source-2.6.24.5_smp-noarch-2
kernel-modules-2.6.24.5
kernel-headers-2.6.24.5_smp-x86

Here the source kernel and module kernel are type of smp ? so should i use module kernel with smp type?

Please explain me.. I am confusing.. I cant find where i did mistake?

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am new to kernel recompilation and building kernels..

Can anyone explain difference between the kernel types smp, non-smp, huge, generic.. How can we identify the type of kernel.. How they are categorize? I am using below kernels and recompiled and loading externel modules also.. but it wasnt successful..

kernel-source-2.6.24.5_smp-noarch-2
kernel-modules-2.6.24.5
kernel-headers-2.6.24.5_smp-x86

Here the source kernel and module kernel are type of smp ? so should i use module kernel with smp type?

Please explain me.. I am confusing.. I cant find where i did mistake?

Thanks in advance

here is the key...

uname -prona
(Here you can see the entire info about your kernel ,and its arch!)

noarch-is no architecture where it shows that it is not compatible to run most of the packages or services.

kernel also depends on the firmware/hardware u r using...so just like to know what hardware. Also like to know r u going to develop this kernel for any cluster related applications?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.