ok heres what im trying to do. I have a home network with 4 to 6 computers on it(6 when my sisters are home from college). i have an extra computer that i installed red hat 9 on which i want to set up as the hub. i want it do do the internet conection sharing, i want it to be the name server, everything. It would also be nice if i could configure appache but thats a problem for anouther time.

when i installed linux i selected "server" configuration and i made sure that all the "server" packages were installed just incase i would need them. when i go to look for network servers i can find Samba and the DNS, FTP and, Appache servers but no name servers and ICS servers. im a native windows guy so all of what im sying may sound absolutely ridiculus, please tell me if it does. But please, be nice about it.

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by briang71

I have set many of these things up. Be happy to help you here.

First, a couple of clarifications.

A HUB / SWITCH is a network device that connects computers and other network devices (shared scanners, printers, maybe a fax machine/copier) with each other. Hubs share all traffic; Switches isolate traffic among the nodes by building small routing tables with in them.

You are asking the RedHat linux box to be a ROUTER. You want all of the traffic inside the house to go through the RH box to the internet. While you did not specify if you are attached to a cable/dsl modem, or a POTS line, what you are asking to be done is rather easy.

You will want to consider a firewall, either having the linux box behave as one, or having another firewall further "upstream".

ICS, or Internet Connection Sharing, is handled internally by linux by passing the command:

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

This statement must be set every restart, as it is in /proc which is a dynamic directory that is virtual and re-created at boottime. I have this command line in my linux firewall.

Linux's DNS server is called BIND, and you can set it up by hand, or using webmin. I suggest learning webmin, as it is a nice interface, web driven, and quite complete. Unfortunately, the docs on how to use it are not the best, but give it a few minutes, and you can get it and build on it.

You may also want to install Samba on this box, and use it as a file server.

Traditional networking models suggest that a firewall should be independant from your fileserver; for my home, however, I have combined the firewall and the file server into one big box.

I am going to write a tutorial on how to solve your problem. You may wish to consider using Fedora Core 3, as RedHat 9 is no longer updated / supported.

What you are trying to do will work but rather crudely.

Since you are a native Microsoft user / admin or whatever, I would suggest buying a device that is specifically meant to do what you want.

www.2wire.com has a "Home Portal" product which I received when I bought my DSL contract as part of the deal, and I must say, this thing kicks butt.
You can pretty much manage your entire network, internal, external, firewall'd ports per machine, I love it.

And it's probably more of what your used to, if you dont know linux / unix, you probably dont want your entire home network relying on something your not familiar with.. you know.?

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.