Hi All:

So here's the problem:

I want a subdomain, email.mydomain.com, to redirect to the google apps website we use for our office:

http://mail.google.com/a/mydomain.com

I set up the subdomain through our host to point to mydomain.com/email
Then I used 301 redirect to redirect
mydomain.com/email, mydomain.com/email/index.html to http://mail.google.com/a/mydomain.com

However, typing email.mydomain.com only takes me to mydomain.com/email/index.html and the redirect doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions? Maybe using mod_rewrite?

Thanks!

You do not need to use rewrite rules. You just go to the DNS zone editor of your domain

- Delete A record that has "email" as a record name
- Add CNAME pointing to ghs.google.com and "email" as a record name
- Login to in your google apps as administrator and setup a web mail URL there. (email.yourdomain.com)

You do not need to use rewrite rules. You just go to the DNS zone editor of your domain

- Delete A record that has "email" as a record name
- Add CNAME pointing to ghs.google.com and "email" as a record name
- Login to in your google apps as administrator and setup a web mail URL there. (email.yourdomain.com)

Hi! Thanks for the reply. Here's the problem:

The client I'm working with had already purchased their domain name from a domain name service that does not have hosting available. They do not want to pay the extra $10 to switch the domain over to my hosting service.

The domain name company cannot change of CNAME without using their Nameservers. However, I need to use my hosting company's namesavers.

Ideas?

If you want to use your hosting company's name server, that means you will use your hosting company's DNS servers.

You can contact them(your hosting provider) to add the required CNAME record for Google Apps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.