I am new to using linux on my own machines, but i have seen it in use before and i know a small bit as ive been reading up on it quite a lot. I downloaded mandrake linux 10.1 community to put on my computer and i previously made two extra partitions at the end of my drive for linux. A 2 gig swap and a 12 gig ext3. After downloading the iso's i used nero 6 to make bootable cd's with them and it starts loading off the screen with a bunch of dos prompts saying usb loaded cdrom loaded sound card loaded etc, but then it stops with a floppy disk prompt [A:/] i tried burnig it so many ways and no avail. I also tried using SuSE and i had the exact same problem! Am i burning the iso's wrong or is there something else i need to configure or do? Im really anxious to get a chance to play on my computer because i dont have to work this week :lol: Thanks in advance, nizzy

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

.., but then it stops with a floppy disk prompt [A:/]

Are you seeing a message regarding "additional drivers" floppy?

the screens go fast but ill try and post everything i can see here i stick the boot cd in and it goes to load it up....
it says dc rom ok usb stuff ok
(the Drive lables are wrong and my 2 linux partitions are not showing up...)

Partition C:\ installed
Partition D:\ installed
Partition E:\ installed
Partition F:\ installed

search for usb hdd devices...

usb support successfully initialized
NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM file handler.
Copyright(c) 1992, 1997 Caldera Inc. All rights reserved
Drive G: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 0
Drive H: Driver 'MSCD001' unit 1
completed codepage prepare funcion
completed codepage select function
NLSFUNC R4.00 National Language Support
Copyright(c) 1988,1998 Caldera, Inc

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
Copyright(c) 1976, 1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved
[DR-DOS] A:\>

This is what is see except there was more initializing and sucess of cd roms and stuff in the beginning

What diskette/disc are you booting from? That's not Linux-- that's DOS. I've never had a Mandrake installation look like that...

i went and downloaded the three disk iso set and burned them to cd's with nero 6. Should i redownload it again and see if that makes a difference?

Might not be a bad idea. What disc were you booting from? You might need to make a boot floppy to get up and running.

Might not be a bad idea. What disc were you booting from? You might need to make a boot floppy to get up and running.

yeah im downloading it right now along with the mini disk. is the mini disk just the basic os files for mandrake without anything else? Ill let you guys know if this works in a couple hours once the downloads finish. thanks for helping me so far :lol:

ok so heres the deal...ive downloaded disk one and mini disk again and i get the same thing...this leads me to think that its not the files but something im doing. Right now i have duel boot windoes xp home and pro...dont ask...those are on my C and D drives...drive M is for music only and V is for videos only. I then made 2 drives for linux: swap and ext3...however i think im having the problem when i am burning the disks here is what i have done:

the file is origionally an iso
-i tried burning it straight over as a disk image project in nero and it just puts one file on the disk and does nothing at boot.
-i tried extracting the files with winrar and burning all the files over to a bootable data disk with nero

what should i do to make linux load at boot?
my computer supports cd boot its a sony viao pvc-rz32g with more memory hard drive and better cooling...its set to boot off the cd then floppy then hard drive in bios...help?

I want to start a new thread ( I think ) , but see no button or way to do so.
The title would be the same, as my install of Mandrake 10.2 hangs on "sr_mod failed".
I appologize for using this method to post, but the FAQ, etc don't tell me how to start a thread.
John Roberts
Frisco, CO

Hey fellow coloradoan...

Is this a Sony VAIO? Any odd hardware plugged in? I believe this is something to do with probing the hardware.

Hey fellow coloradoan...

Well,Hi - if you come to summit county, look me up

Computer is PentI , Dell, 64MB RAM, 3.1GB HD.
I get the error when it is "Configuring IDE" -- so I suspect it is a hardware problem. However, WIN 98 runs fine on this machine.

I removed all cards not in use ( sound, modem) - no help
Only 3 drives on IDE and they all work with WIN98.

Maybe there is a more tolerant Mandrake? I dont care what version--I am just playing around.

John - old retired computer nerd.

Hmm, Mandrake's been pretty friendly for me on everything from old laptops to old pentiums. Mandrake also has a "Move" product that boot from the cd. You might be able to do some disk checking from there.

Summitsavers.com runs on a mandrake box :-)

however i think im having the problem when i am burning the disks here is what i have done:

the file is origionally an iso
-i tried burning it straight over as a disk image project in nero and it just puts one file on the disk and does nothing at boot.
-i tried extracting the files with winrar and burning all the files over to a bootable data disk with nero

That's sure you have problems...
Open Nero, then choose from "Recorder" menu (IIRC) the option "Burn image to disc" then select the *.iso image to burn, and repeat the operation for every iso you have; that's the way you'll get the bootable disc...
And check the md5sum for every iso file, before burning them, to get sure the images were not corrupted during download.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.