Hello everybody.
I have a SIS-based dtk MiBook S52 laptop (SIS chipset, SIS ethernet, SIS vga ...)
I have tried to setup linux on it, but the installer hung up and I can't determine the problem
the distribution I tried are:
1- RedHat
2- open SUSE 10.2
3- Fedora 10
4- Ubuntu 8 live cd
but neither of these dist.. does work
I cannot determine the problem but I noticed the following in Fedora 10:
/tmp as ramfs : and at this point the installer stops
ubuntu live cd:
the progressbar reaches the half then it stops for ever.

please if someone can help me in this problem.
thanks for any help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello everybody.
I have a SIS-based dtk MiBook S52 laptop (SIS chipset, SIS ethernet, SIS vga ...)
I have tried to setup linux on it, but the installer hung up and I can't determine the problem
the distribution I tried are:
1- RedHat
2- open SUSE 10.2
3- Fedora 10
4- Ubuntu 8 live cd
but neither of these dist.. does work
I cannot determine the problem but I noticed the following in Fedora 10:
/tmp as ramfs : and at this point the installer stops
ubuntu live cd:
the progressbar reaches the half then it stops for ever.

please if someone can help me in this problem.
thanks for any help

Hi..

Did you try (Slackware, Debian) these are also very stable and good distro.

first of all quit making two posts for your same problem. Second most of the distros you have tried are older. So please try the latest distros like fedora 11 or ubuntu 9.10 most likely the newer versions have a fix. Also make sure you are installing correctly. For simplest and easiest installation create 2 partitions during installation

1. Swap partition of say 2GB if you have more than 2GB physical RAM if you have less than 2GB physical RAM just match the amount of physical RAM with swap memory.

and

2. root partition "/" of a minimum 20-30 GB if you want a reasonable system.

Also yes like i_tears said try debian and slackware. Debian = extremely stable. Never tried slackware but i heard is extremely good.

thank you friend

first of all quit making two posts for your same problem

it was just an error.
besides, I got a Debian 5.3 live CD but it did not work, and yesterday I download OpenSUSE 11.1, but, Alas... again did not work.

waiting........................
thanks

thank you friend
it was just an error.
besides, I got a Debian 5.3 live CD but it did not work, and yesterday I download OpenSUSE 11.1, but, Alas... again did not work.

waiting........................
thanks

are you doing the installation correctly? Maybe try installing on from a virtual machine this time....download virtualbox and try installing. If it works than you are doing something wrong during your regular installation.

Thank you so much.
I've tried to install it on VMWare, and it works well.
Besides, I don't think I've made a wrong, the installer hungs up at some step(this is the main problem) as I have pointed, so I cannot do any installation step.
but I have been informed that the problem may be caused by the HDD which is (ATA).
thanks again and waiting for replies.

Hello eveybody
thank you for all members contribute in solving my problem
I have finally gotten linux installed on my laptop, Mandriva dis~ was
the working one, but I need some drivers for my hardware
indeed, I want Motorola sm56 data fax modem driver, sis mirage 3(672 chipset) driver, and realtek HD one.

JDurrah.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.