trying to install this os by ftp, which requires a small .iso and then all you have to do is specify the fpt ip. Well when i select network install, it says no network device found, plese install network module first.

I have a few modules I downloaded with tons of network devices in them, but i have no idea which one to specify. my nforce2 mobo uses the embeded nvidia mac, but im not sure which one this is. anyone have any idea how i can install this network module?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What NIC does the mobo have? Once you find that out, you'll be able to find out which module for the NIC you need.
Example:
NIC = Realtek 8139
Module needed: rtl8139.o

To install the module after you've located/identified it, you use either modprobe or insmod

(Hint) If your mobo has an onboard nic, turn it off in the BIOS.

i'm pretty sure i know what NIC to use from the list, but it asks me for parameters. not sure what to put for that.

I have a few modules I downloaded with tons of network devices in them, but i have no idea which one to specify. my nforce2 mobo uses the embeded nvidia mac, but im not sure which one this is. anyone have any idea how i can install this network module?

Each module is for a specific NIC. If you donwloaded more than one module trying to figure out which one to use, first figure out what NIC you have and search google for the corresponding module. If all else fails, use modprobe until you find the right module. (modprobe is how you install a module. You can also you insmod if you know which module to load.)

man modprobe
man insmod

You shouldn't have to worry about parameters until you have the right module loaded, and even then you shouldn't need any extra parameters unless recommended by the manufacturer.

nVidia doesn't make NICs. Did you mean the motherboard has an onboard video adapter?

Why would he want to do that, when he's trying to use it?

nVidia doesn't make NICs. Did you mean the motherboard has an onboard video adapter?

Why would he want to do that, when he's trying to use it?

Well, you just answered that one yourself. He didn't say he was using a onboard nic. Who would disable the NIC they are trying to use, common sense would come into play. ( I will admit, you through me off saying Realtek.)

Is it a onboard nic?
Give me the name of the nic, manafacuter, ect......... :cool:

Well, you just answered that one yourself. He didn't say he was using a onboard nic.

No, he said his mobo had an onboard mac:

my nforce2 mobo uses the embeded nvidia mac, but im not sure which one this is.

I was clarifying for him in case it was a typo.

I will admit, you through me off saying Realtek.

That's why I prefixed the comment with Example: as I always do when giving an example.

commented: My bad ogre....CHANNEL +15

Visa versa
My mistake, My bad ogre
Still need to know the excact make & model of the board?

WC: No biggie. Thx for the rate, BTW.

bigpoppapumpg: Whats the status? Do you still need help locating the proper module, or is it working now?

not able to create a vpn connection in suse linex 10 without yast.

to work with bsnl broad band

I am not able to config B S N L broad band in suse linux 10 without
yast. The network config nit accepted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.