http://ironpython.codeplex.com/releases/view/12482

I'M running Ubuntu 9.10. On the website above, what which download should I use? I don't see a debian so I'M assuming I need to get the bin. If that's the case, I have no idea how to install a bin. Thanks for any and all replies.

Wait, it's not for Linux, is it?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Well, the website indicates that:

"IronPython is an implementation of the Python programming language running under .NET and Silverlight."

So it's safe to say that it's not for Linux. Ubuntu installs Python by default so you'll already have it installed on your computer.

I think the reason the OP wanted to install IronPython was probably to have an IDE for python.
Obviously, as already stated IronPython is only for windows, so that is out of the question.

However there are several other python IDE's available. Idle and SPE (Stani's Python Editor) immediately spring to mind. I can't think of any others offhand but take a look in the software centre and you should see a few other python IDE's, if memory serves.

Most of the time I just use gEdit for writing my py scripts, as it has python syntax highlighting built in, but whenever I need an IDE (usually when debugging errant scripts), I tend to use Idle...Works for me, never had any problems with it.

Cheers for now,
Jas.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.