shadwickman 159 Posting Pro in Training

If anyone is still interested in those old, nostalgic text-based games to run in the console, there's Python Universe Builder by Joe Strout. Yes, it's a dead project as the last release dates back to 2006, but it still works fine if anyone is interested. On the Sourceforge page for PUB, the download section contains 1.0a2 and 2.0, but as far as I know 2.0 isn't a full release, so 1.0a2 is the working one (i'll need to double-check). And by 'working' I mean you'll need to manually install it into your site-packages folder for Python, after changing a few things like instances in its scripts of the "whrandom" module which was phased out long ago in lieu of the "random" module. Oh, and this will only work for Python 2.x installations, not 3.0.

I'm posting this here because I know an unbelievable amount of users post here about either making a 3D game or making a game engine, without actually knowing anything about those topics in the least. If people want to make a game, then a simple text-based one can still be a lot of fun (comes down to how well the story is written), and should provide good practice for anyone interested in Python or in getting into game development.

Here's a tutorial for it if anyone's interested.

Nick Evan commented: Nice project. +19
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.