Hello, I have an oldish P3 IBM Thinkpad R30 with 128 of RAM (But 8mb is shared with the graphics card).

It came with M$ Windows 98 and I would like to install linux onto t. I have some linux experience, mainly on older network servers.

However, I am dubious about bootloader instillaion as when my machine starts up, I get a "Push F11" to begin recovery" option.

I plan to keep Win 98 and the recovey partition (hiden) by using partition magic 7 (a free copy I have) to resize windows partition to 10gb or so.

However, Will installing GRUB (I plan to use fedora 1 - Not 4 as it has graphics issues) wipe the F11 prompt from my MBR.

I have the option to make a "recovery repair diskette" to reinsert the prompt into the MBR at a later date but I cannot use it as I have no floppy drive as my model is no longer supported by IBM.

Hello, I have an oldish P3 IBM Thinkpad R30 with 128 of RAM (But 8mb is shared with the graphics card).

It came with M$ Windows 98 and I would like to install linux onto t. I have some linux experience, mainly on older network servers.

However, I am dubious about bootloader instillaion as when my machine starts up, I get a "Push F11" to begin recovery" option.

I plan to keep Win 98 and the recovey partition (hiden) by using partition magic 7 (a free copy I have) to resize windows partition to 10gb or so.

However, Will installing GRUB (I plan to use fedora 1 - Not 4 as it has graphics issues) wipe the F11 prompt from my MBR.

I have the option to make a "recovery repair diskette" to reinsert the prompt into the MBR at a later date but I cannot use it as I have no floppy drive as my model is no longer supported by IBM.

re-install the commputer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.